The Cowboys, along with owner Jerry Jones, locked arms and kneeled on the field before their game against the Cardinals on Monday night. The entire team - and the Cardinals, too - was standing when Jordin Sparks sang the Star-Spangled Banner.
Throughout the weekend NFL games featured a number of different players demonstrating on the field - or in the locker room - during the national anthem before games.
The Cowboys told ESPN they took a knee "as a statement of equality and representation of unity".
The NFL has played the national anthem before games for decades, but in 2009 it began to play the song with the players on the field.
The#Cowboys knelt, briefly, before the anthem. Cardinals owner Michael Bidwell and his family and general manager Steve Keim joined them.
But those comments came before President Donald Trump attacked anthem protests during a speech in Alabama on Friday, calling on team owners to fire players who won't stand.
Burger King Russia want It banned, because Pennywise looks like Ronald McDonald
Burger King has been actively expanding its operations in Russian Federation and has been aggressively pushing new ideas. The complaint was filed last week, wanting the film axed for breaking Russia's advertising laws.
Trump then carried his feud with the National Football League over players who kneel in protest into the new week with a fresh volley of tweets.
When asked if he had any response to Trump's comments, he said "I want our actions to be louder than words".
The protests started more than a year ago when former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick refused to stand during the national anthem as a protest over police treatment of minorities.
Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones has been a staunch supporter of the President and there was speculation that he would not allow his players to kneel during the national anthem. "#StandForOurAnthem" he wrote Monday evening.
But for some, Trump's argument with professional athletes had everything to do with race.
- New 'Celebrities Read Mean Tweets' Features Donald Trump's Alec Baldwin Diss
- Fergie Brings Son Axl to Promote 'Double Dutchess'!
- Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez offered to Real Madrid, Zinedine Zidane snubbed deal
- Nationwide strike to 'defeat the elite': SACP
- Creative Planning Has $7.68 Million Stake in CVS Health Corporation (CVS)
- Traders Secrets on Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (DGX), AMC Entertainment Holdings, Inc. (AMC)
- ICC's new playing rules to come into effect from Thursday
- North Korea has just released this absolutely bonkers propaganda video
- Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly to fly to IN with Trump
- PM Modi meets US Defence Secretary James Mattis