Specifically, 19.5% (95% CI, 18.5-20.6) of adolescents reported at least one diagnosed concussion in their lifetime: 14% (95% CI, 13.1-14.8) reported one diagnosed concussion and 5.5% (95% CI, 4.9-6.1) reported being diagnosed with a concussion a couple of times.
The national study, called "Monitoring The Future", conducted by the U-M Institute for Social Research, is an ongoing survey asking teens in 8th, 10th and 12th grades: "Have you ever had a head injury that was diagnosed as a concussion?" Assistant research professor Philip Veliz says the prevalence of concussions among adolescents isn't a topic that's been researched much at all. The research is published in the journal JAMA. "Concussions are quite common especially among adolescents". The researchers found that almost 20% of adolescents said they had been diagnosed with at least one concussion and 5.5% said they had been diagnosed with more than one.
Apple, Alphabet and Fitbit test FDA fast track for health apps
The pilot program will focus on looking at the software developer or digital health developer first, instead of traditionally looking primarily at the product.
The research was part of the 2016 Monitoring the Future survey, a larger national University of MI survey funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Some in the group have reported concussions and some haven't, and he hopes to learn whether the teens that have reported concussions develop health complications later on. While the study did not determine how the kids got their concussions, the authors report that about a third of teens participating in contact sports had been diagnosed with a concussion at some point.
"Findings showed that 19.5 percent reported at least one diagnosed concussion in their lifetime, which was consistent with regional studies and with emergency department reports stating contact sports are a leading cause of concussion among teens", he said.
- Watching Shares of ULS Technology PLC (ULS.L) — Technical Focus
- Dem lawmaker threatens to force Trump impeachment vote next week
- Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL) EPS Estimated At $1.66
- Panasonic launches Eluga I4 with AI Assistance in India
- Huntington Bancshares Incorpora (NASDAQ:HBANN) Sees Unusual Trading Volume in Its Shares
- Officers shoot, kill deaf man after giving verbal orders
- LeBron holds court, discusses Irving, distaste for Trump
- Alex Iwobi returns for Zambia match
- Morel prolonge jusqu'en 2019
- David Oyelowo to Star in Disney Musical From 'Moonlight' Playwright