Trump was condemned players who refused to stand during the national anthem as part of the "Take A Knee" movement, which began a year ago in the NFL in protest of police brutality against African Americans.
"It certainly is our hope that people stand during the national anthem, but we also respect their right to make a personal statement or expression of their personal beliefs", NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said in a conference call with reporters on Monday.
There's no law that says players should not or can not silently protest by kneeling rather than standing for the National Anthem.
Trump expands travel restrictions on DPRK, Venezuela, Chad
Trump had called for a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States" during his campaign. The US will also stop entry of citizens from Iran , Chad, Libya, Syria , Venezuela, Yemen and Somalia.
At her weekly news conference, Reynolds said she supports freedom of speech, but urges the players to respect the flag. "Honoring the flag, the national anthem, and the men and women who fought to defend it".
"The issue of kneeling has nothing to do with race", Trump wrote. Also, it should be ILLEGAL to protest. It's something that I think we all expected to happen, and I think most of us tried to put it in that light that it was a show of solidarity.
"I wasn't really moved by that a great deal, just because what the President did was he attacked the business of football", he said. At Virginia Union University, where some Panther football players have previously taken a knee during the national anthem, Head Coach Mark James is seizing the moment.
Players have said that their decision to kneel or sit is not meant to disrespect the military or veterans, but instead to draw attention to police violence against black Americans and, more recently, issues with Trump's own behavior. "It truly seems to me and to those in my life that the President is not concerned with the people who feel less privileged in this country".
- Intepirdine Fails to Meet Topline Goals in Phase 3 Alzheimer's Disease Trial
- The FBI has arrested NCAA basketball officials on fraud and corruption charges
- State of emergency declared in Vanuatu as volcano eruption displaces thousands
- Parents arrested after their 11-month-old daughter overdoses on HEROIN
- Samsung's Windows Mixed Reality headset leaks online
- S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller National Home Price Index (HPI) Meets July Forecast
- Samantha Barks to be Broadway's Pretty Woman
- Trading Tracker: Monitoring Shares of Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO)
- Chelsea should have kept Diego Costa, according to Ray Wilkins
- Anthony Weiner gets 21 months in prison in sexting case