For many players in the predominantly black National Football League, the president's rebuke smacked of racism, and some teams responded Sunday by staying in the locker room during the anthem, while other teams took the field, where some players knelt, others sat and still others stood during the anthem.
Numerous boos rang out across University of Phoenix Stadium as the Cowboys kneeled and continued as the players rose, still arm-in-arm, and stepped back to the sideline as the flag was unfurled across the field.
The Dallas Cowboys team and ownership kneel with their arms linked before the national anthem at Monday night's game. Arizona players also stood and linked arms during the anthem, but they did not take a knee beforehand. It's important to note the team kneeled before the national anthem, and then stood up during it. "Big progress being made- we all love our country!" the president added.
It was the team's coordinated response to President Donald Trump's controversial remarks over the weekend regarding player protests during the anthem over social injustice, police brutality and racism.
And the protest controversy sparked by Trump this weekend hasn't exactly been a ratings boon for all National Football League games.
Exciting names announced to direct Game of Thrones Season 8
Game of Thrones fans will be absolutely delighted with the news that one of the show's greatest directors has announced his return for the final season.
"It's about equal rights, and that's all everyone is trying to show is that we all care about each other", Walker said. On Friday, he said protesting players should be fired.
For their part, Cardinals players took a page from several teams on Sunday by linking arms while the anthem played.
"I support them more than I support Donald Trump right now for his actions", he said.
The Cowboys have adhered to those wishes since the anthem protests were started by former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick last season.
- NFL Ratings Down Nationally in Wake of Protests, But Up Locally
- Marcos Llorente prolongé avec une clause à 300 millions — Real Madrid
- Intec Pharma Ltd. (:NTEC) Touches into Overbought RSI Levels
- Twitter to clarify rules in wake of Trump North Korea threat tweets
- JK: Top Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist gunned down by security forces
- Investigation as bodies of husband and wife found in Rednal and Streetly
- Labour considering compulsory problem gambling levy
- Racing Legend Dale Earnhardt Jr. Shows Solidarity with NFL Players Protesting Trump
- Mara 'unhappy' with Odell Beckham's TD celebration
- Sessions: 'Fragile egos, political correctness' killing campus free speech