Gladys Cherono followed up her 2015 victory by winning the women's race in 2:20:23, ahead of Ethiopia's Ruti Aga and fellow Kenyan Valary Ayabei.
There looked like being a massive upset as Adola began to distance Kipchoge in the latter stages, but the 32-year-old was far from out of the race and slowly began to reel his opponent in. That time does not count for record-keeping purposes due to use of rotating pacemakers throughout the race, but even so - armed with the knowledge that his body could sustain a almost sub-2:00 hour effort, Kipchoge was aggressive in his goals and approach for Berlin. "It should not be lost to people that he is the third fastest runner with a time of 2:03:05", Korir reiterated.
In the women's race, which didn't feature any world or Olympic champions with no real threat to the longstanding world record, three runners broke 2:21 though the end result wasn't close.
"Competition could not be fiercer on the famously flat and fast streets of the German capital, home to the last six marathon world records". Instead of 60:45, the top group passed through 13.1 miles in 61:29; an even split race from there would have exactly tied Kimetto's world record of 2:02:57. Adola, in his first marathon, finished second in 2:03:46, the quickest debut time ever.
All the pre-race hype was about the battle between Kipchoge, Wilson Kipsang and Kenenisa Bekele, but the Kenyan's rivals could not keep up. Bekele, the defending Berlin Marathon champion, is believed to have dropped out before the 35K mark. In May, Kipchoge ran 2:00:25 in an event that didn't confirm to worldwide rules on Monza's race-track in Italy.
South Korea says natural North Korea quake detected
Previous quakes from North Korea have indicated nuclear tests by the reclusive state, the most recent earlier this month. The size of Saturday's tremor is smaller than that usually detected when North Korea has tested weapons.
Eliud Kipchoge comes in first at the Berlin Marathon, beating out the second-place runner by 14 seconds, on September 23.
Kipchoge is the reigning Olympic marathon champion, was world champion in the 5,000m in 2003, and has won seven of his eight marathons so far.
The next World Marathon Major on the calendar is the Chicago Marathon, taking place on October 8.
- Hillary Clinton: Women Who Support Trump Are 'Publicly Disrespecting Themselves'
- Le soulman Charles Bradley est mort
- Manchester United : Mourinho félicite la bonne forme de Martial
- Trump threatens to brand Rand Paul as 'the Republican who saved Obamacare'
- Inwood man dies after struggling with officers
- Trump Rips Iran Nuclear Deal After Ballistic Missile Test
- Strong 6.2 magnitude quake shakes central Mexico
- Un automobiliste tué à un feu rouge — Val-de-Marne
- Man City set PL record in win over Palace
- Pablo Escobar's Brother Threatens The Production of Netflix's 'Narcos'