Various celebrities have been angered by the situation, including Stevie Wonder, who showed solidarity with those Trump criticised by taking a knee on stage. But not just one knee.
He went on: 'But not just one knee, I'm taking both knees, both knees in prayer for our planet, our future, our leaders of the world and our globe - amen'.
In response to Trump's remarks, Wonder with the help of his son, Kwame Wonder, took a knee onstage before his performance.
The "take a knee" movement, most famously demonstrated by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in 2016, has seen players across the league either kneel or raise a fist as The Star-Spangled Banner is played at games.
Watch above via BuzzFeed News.
President Trump labelled sports people who "take a knee" during the playing of the National Anthem as "sons of bitches" sparking a widespread outcry.
South Korea says natural North Korea quake detected
Previous quakes from North Korea have indicated nuclear tests by the reclusive state, the most recent earlier this month. The size of Saturday's tremor is smaller than that usually detected when North Korea has tested weapons.
In a weekend rooted in divisiveness with a few hot-button debates brewing, the 2017 Global Citizen Festival couldn't have arrived at a more appropriate time.
The "Superstition" crooner did not blast Trump by name but teased two opposing world powers in North America and North Korea as a lesson in peace. "If we don't, we could lose the ultimate video game of life".
"Weapons are real and rhetoric is unsafe", Wonder said.
During Wonder's set, the singer teamed with fellow Global Citizen performer Pharrell Williams for a trio of songs, including "Happy", "Superstition" and Daft Punk's "Get Lucky", which Wonder previously performed alongside Williams and the French duo at the 2014 Grammys.
- Members of Karni Sena burn posters of SLB's 'Padmavati'
- Peter Sagan en quête d'un triplé historique — Cyclisme
- Palace welcomes UNHRC adoption of PH human rights report in Geneva
- Manchester United : Mourinho félicite la bonne forme de Martial
- Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United preview
- Strong 6.2 magnitude quake shakes central Mexico
- Canadian National Railway Company (CNR) Given Average Rating of "Buy" by Brokerages
- About two dozen players kneel for national anthem in London
- Billy Vunipola: England and Saracens back row out for four months
- PeeCee looks stunning in floral Fausto Puglisi dress at Global Citizen Festival