Mr. Freeman looks at the camera and intones: "We have been attacked". He then urges POTUS to tell the nation that "during this past election, we came under attack by the Russian government". "We are at war".
The Russians have used propaganda and false information to undermine world democracies and to sow distrust of their news media, their political processes and "even their neighbors", Mr. Freeman continues, often pausing for dramatic effect.
Honestly, it doesn't sound too far from what President Trump would say if a similar video was made about him.
But Mr. Freeman's dabbling in real-world politics provoked sharply worded criticisms from Russian officials and news outlets.
Gold futures rise on escalating geopolitical tensions
Gold gained from a four-week low on Friday as geopolitical tensions between the United States and North Korea remained in focus. The Japanese yen and Swiss franc gained on the possibility of North Korea conducting another nuclear test.
Almost all state-controlled media in Russia are now verbally abusing the Academy Award victor after his appearance in a video directed by filmmaker Rob Reiner for the Committee to Investigate Russia, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
And a Russian TV channel accused Freeman of falling prey to "a Messianic complex resulting from playing God or the president in several films, not to mention 'drug abuse'". Vadim Zavodchenkov, a weatherman for the channel, said Mr. Freeman was ill because of "overwork and marijuana use". The group describes itself as "a nonprofit, non-partisan resource provided to help Americans recognize and understand the gravity of Russia's continuing attacks on our democracy".
Mr. Putin's press secretary, Dmitri S. Peskov, said the accusations in the video were "groundless and of an exclusively emotional character", the BBC reported.
So, naturally, the Russians are mad online like so many MAGA hat burners, and they're turning to social media to take aim at Freeman (who clearly has a lot of influence in Russia if they're getting this mad about it).
- Trasladan al Cereso de Tepexi a presunto feminicida de Mara
- Effectively hedging the stocks in today's share market: CMS Energy Corporation (CMS)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi has officially wrapped, says director Rian Johnson
- Conagra buying Mankato-based Boomchickapop
- Mayoral candidate Frank Scurlock denies lewd conduct charge
- Kyle Busch earns 8th pole of the season at New Hampshire
- Ed Sheeran Shatters Spotify's Most Streamed Song Record
- Red Cross relief truck carrying Rohingya aid in Bangladesh crashes, 9 killed
- Gonzalo Higuain is crucial for Juventus and helps win trophies - Chiellini
- PSG: Emery veut chiper un record détenu par l'OM