Polygamist church leader Lyle Jeffs is expected to change his plea Wednesday to guilty on charges relating to a food stamp fraud case.
Jeffs' sentencing by Stewart is scheduled for December 13.
Jeffs was awaiting trial in the food-stamp case when he slipped off his ankle monitor and escaped in June 2016. The FBI recaptured Jeffs in South Dakota this summer after he pawned two pairs of pliers.
Lyle Jeffs, a former bishop of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, used his food stamp benefits to pay for inappropriate items, such as a tractor and a truck, reported the Associated Press. He was apparently living out of his pickup truck.
The other defendants have agreed to plea deals or seen the charges dismissed.
FAMU going smoke and tobacco
CVS's charitable foundation said it will issues grants to 126 colleges and universities to help them ban smoking on campus. Florida Agriculture and Mechanical University just received a grant to make the campus smoke and tobacco free.
Critics of the secretive sect have been frustrated that none of the others have served prison time. "He's not getting out anytime soon", Huber said. The charge of conspiracy to commit money laundering was dropped.
Lyle Jeffs is facing up to four years on a fraud count, plus one year in connection to his escape, according to the Tribune. Huber acknowledged that some may criticize the terms of the deal, but he said investigators will begin searching for property in Jeffs' name to seize for the restitution. Members believe polygamy brings exaltation in heaven.
He had been in the area for about two weeks, running low on resources and struggling without the help of fellow sect members after falling out with his brother Warren Jeffs, who runs the group while serving a life sentence in Texas for sexual assault of underage brides, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has said.
The communities of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Arizona, are now under court supervision for the next decade as punishment.
- Concern for Puerto Rico as Hurricane Maria makes landfall
- Trump, Pence to campaign for odd before GOP runoff
- AIA Group buys Australian insurer for S$4.1bn
- Joel Embiid still not cleared to go full-bore, 76ers say
- Jimmy Kimmel blasts health care bill
- Netflix Yanks Kids' Cartoon Episode With Penis Drawing in Background
- Hedley to play Westman Place
- Man gets 30-87 years for sex assault of 6 "gifted" girls
- Hospital allows kids to drive themselves to operating room
- Google (et YouTube) aide une association anti-piratage