The movement began when Chappelle first took the stage with Melissa McCarthy to present the award for Best Director for a Comedy Series.
Thus, the hashtag #DCPublicSchools was born - and it immediately hit No. 2 on Twitter's worldwide trending list, behind the Emmys hashtag itself.
"Last Week Tonight With John Oliver" was up against TBS' "Full Frontal With Samantha Bee", ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live", CBS' "The Late Late Show With James Corden", HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher", and CBS' "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert".
The primetime plug caused twit-o-sphere explosion, with mentions of D.C. Public Schools.
Melania Trump Condemns Bullying in an Address at the UN
The first lady's speech made no mention her husband as she urged the world to "ensure that our children's future is bright". Melania Trump's United Nations speech preached about setting an example for our children and preventing bullying...
After the hilarious (and perhaps uncomfortable for McCarthy) moment when Chappelle said he was "amazed" at how many black people were at the Emmys, he acknowledged that he "skipped rehearsal".
Then came the truly unexpected: Comedian John Oliver, who is not an alum, also gave the school district a shout-out, while accepting an Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series for "Last Week Tonight". "Shout out to D.C. Public Schools". "So if you are tweeting about the Emmys, please use the hashtag #DCPublicSchools".
And the D.C. Public Schools themselves, caught off-guard by the sudden attention, tweeted their own response to their sudden fame.
"We are striving to become a district of both excellence and equity", says D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Antwan Wilson. "We'd like to than our educators, our families, and of course, our awesome students".
- Massachusetts House Holds Hearing On $15 Minimum Wage
- Elisabeth Moss Had A Secret Feminist Message Hidden In Her Emmys Outfit
- 'We really have a chance,' Trump says on Israeli-Palestinian peace
- Switch's hidden Golf game is a touching tribute to Iwata
- UK's Quercus seals Iran's €500 million solar deal
- Teenager 'sacked' for opposing same-sex marriage speaks out
- Crazy Volume Spikes for: Ford Motor Co
- Additional lawsuits filed against Hollywood nursing home, FPL
- Virgin East Coast to auction empty first-class seats to standard ticket buyers
- Rob Portman Hints That He'll Support Latest GOP Health Care Bill