The two-time Oscar victor will star in The First, a new Hulu original drama created by Beau Willimon, the mastermind behind the Netflix awards darling House of Cards. The First promises to explore the different challenges associated with attempting interplanetary colonization.
The First, which will go into production later this year, is owned and produced by Westward Productions, founded by Willimon and Tappis, and co-financed by Hulu, Channel 4, IMG and AG Studios.
While Penn's role has not been officially disclosed, Penn's character, reportedly named Tom Haggerty, could be a former NASA astronaut involved in the project.
Series creator Willimon will executive-produce the drama with Jordan Tappis.
Robbery Suspect Plans To Sue Man Who Stopped Him
In the background, another Starbucks worker cleaned table tops and smiled as Jerri picked up a chair and charged at the suspect. Cregg Jerri, 58, was that customer, and he intervened in the attempted robbery by hitting Flores with a chair from behind.
Sean Penn (Milk, 21 Grams) is going to make his small screen debut as a TV series regular.
"I have such deep admiration for Sean's enormous talent and extraordinary body of work", Willimon said in a statement.
Penn's previous TV credits have mostly been confined to sitcom guest appearances (Friends, Two and a Half Men, Ellen), although he recently wrapped production on the HBO miniseries American Lion, in which he stars as President Andrew Jackson. Penn will be honored next month with a career tribute at the Mill Valley Film Festival.
"The Handmaid's Tale" picked up eight Emmy wins this year, including best drama, making Hulu is the first streaming network to pick up the big prize. "The First" will premiere on Hulu in the USA and on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- USA withdrawing from Paris deal unless it gets favourable term: Trump adviser
- Wiarton Willie dies at the age of 13
- Proterra electric bus sets electric vehicle range record
- Melco Resorts & Entertainment (MPEL) Earning Somewhat Positive Media Coverage, Study Finds
- Deal Between NICE and Manufacturer Leads to New Lung Cancer Drug
- Seven Group Holdings swoops on 100% Coats Hire ownership
- Mockery Attack! Huawei Takes a Bite at Apple iPhone X
- Michigan State Police trooper dies injuries in motorcycle crash
- Sashastra Seema Bal jawan dies in terrorist attack in J&K's Banihal
- Bayer says needs more time for Monsanto deal approval