It all went down when First Lady Melania Trump introduced her husband to the crowd during a public address on September 15 at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland. Trump says that children are often "hit first and hardest in any country" when it comes to drug addiction, bullying, poverty, disease, trafficking illiteracy and hunger.
The first lady's speech made no mention her husband as she urged the world to "ensure that our children's future is bright". She asked leaders on social media, as well as community and educational figures to step up on behalf of children.
Melania Trump's United Nations speech preached about setting an example for our children and preventing bullying... Not only was the handshake cordial and business-like, Trump patted her on the back and basically told her to go sit down as if he was talking to a child. "By our own example, we must teach children to be good stewards of the world they will inherit", she said. As adults we are not merely responsible.
Merkel slams Trump's threat to 'destroy' North Korea
Trump, at the UN, also spoke witheringly of the Iran accord, calling it an "embarrassment" for the United States. Trump said North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un was "on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime".
"I hope you will join me in recommitting ourselves to teaching the next generation to live by and honor the Golden Rule".
While the first lady kept a low profile since moving into the White House this June, she has ramped up her public appearances in recent weeks, hosting a dinner for the White House Historical Association last week, visiting with children at Andrews Air Force Base, and traveling to Hurricane-ravaged Texas and Florida with the President in the wake of the two devastating storms.
Trump was involved in crafting her remarks and designed the luncheon alongside NY event-planner David Monn, said Stephanie Grisham, the first lady's communications director. The First Lady addressed the issue of vulnerable children around the world. On Friday, she visited a youth center at Andrews Air Force Base, and on Saturday she will make her first solo trip overseas as first lady to Toronto for the opening ceremony of the Invictus Games.
- Diego Costa sent stark warning by Spain boss Julen Lopetegui
- Robert Mueller's team questioned Rod Rosenstein in Trump's firing of James Comey
- Trump gives major speech at United Nations
- Journalist Killed While Covering Violent Clashes in Tripura
- Rob Portman Hints That He'll Support Latest GOP Health Care Bill
- Ouragan Maria. Air France, Air Caraïbes et Corsair reportent des vols
- Stolen tool investigation leads to two arrests
- 'We really have a chance,' Trump says on Israeli-Palestinian peace
- Kathy Griffin's multimillionaire CEO neighbor attacks her with antigay & sexist slurs
- Facebook Is Adding Oversight to Avoid Future 'Jew-Hater' Targeting