A Democratic governor endorsing a Democratic mayor in a general election is rarely surprising, but Messrs.
In a case of better late than never, Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday finally got around to endorsing Mayor Bill de Blasio for re-election.
"The mayor won the Democratic primary".
Cuomo had offered up lame excuses for shunning his fellow Democrat - including claiming he wasn't weighing in because he lives in Westchester and couldn't vote in a New York City primary.
Asked if there was any reason for the endorsement other than party affiliation, the governor said he preferred de Blasio to any of his opponents. "I support Democrats and I'll support Mayor de Blasio in the general", Cuomo said during an appearance on WNYC public radio's "Brian Lehrer Show". "I think in this contest, he is the better person to serve the City of NY as mayor, period".
Antonio Valencia volleys a screamer to put Manchester United ahead of Everton
The result moves Jose Mourinho's side joint-top of the Premier League, alongside Manchester City, after five Premier League games. Wayne Rooney came closest for Everton on his return to Old Trafford but couldn't apply the finishing touch.
Malliotakis is a Republican assemblywoman representing Staten Island. He also faces independent candidate Bo Dietl, a celebrity ex-NYPD officer, and former Brooklyn Councilman Sal Albanese, who lost the Democratic primary to de Blasio but has the Reform Party line in November.
Earlier Monday, before the governor made his endorsement, Malliotakis told the Daily News she would welcome his support.
"I would love to have the governor's support in this election", she said in a meeting with the News' editorial board. "I'm somebody who is reasonable and rational and he can work with, as we did after Hurricane Sandy".
A rep for the de Blasio campaign had no immediate comment.
- Florida nursing home with 8 post-Irma deaths has checkered safety record
- The First Tomb Raider Movie Poster Is Here
- Google, Facebook dominate United Kingdom digital ad spend
- Injustice 2 Reveals New Raiden Gameplay and a Special DC Surprise
- Global stocks peak at start of Fed-fuelled week
- Arrest made in 25-year-old murder of MA woman
- Why the Stars Are Wearing Blue Ribbons at the 2017 Emmy Awards
- National Child Passenger Safety Week: Does You Child Need a Booster Seat?
- Ingraham Gets Primetime 'Angle' In Fox News Lineup
- Arrestation d'un 2e suspect et poursuite des perquisitions — Attentat de Londres