A Democratic governor endorsing a Democratic mayor in a general election is rarely surprising, but Messrs.
In a case of better late than never, Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday finally got around to endorsing Mayor Bill de Blasio for re-election.
"The mayor won the Democratic primary".
Cuomo had offered up lame excuses for shunning his fellow Democrat - including claiming he wasn't weighing in because he lives in Westchester and couldn't vote in a New York City primary.
Asked if there was any reason for the endorsement other than party affiliation, the governor said he preferred de Blasio to any of his opponents. "I support Democrats and I'll support Mayor de Blasio in the general", Cuomo said during an appearance on WNYC public radio's "Brian Lehrer Show". "I think in this contest, he is the better person to serve the City of NY as mayor, period".
Georgia Power offers update on state-wide outages
About 3,400 personnel and crews standing by to respond to power outages after the storm leaves affected areas. In Georgia, utilities reported outages declined to about 113,000 from a peak of around 1.3 million on Monday.
Malliotakis is a Republican assemblywoman representing Staten Island. He also faces independent candidate Bo Dietl, a celebrity ex-NYPD officer, and former Brooklyn Councilman Sal Albanese, who lost the Democratic primary to de Blasio but has the Reform Party line in November.
Earlier Monday, before the governor made his endorsement, Malliotakis told the Daily News she would welcome his support.
"I would love to have the governor's support in this election", she said in a meeting with the News' editorial board. "I'm somebody who is reasonable and rational and he can work with, as we did after Hurricane Sandy".
A rep for the de Blasio campaign had no immediate comment.
- Defense was real story in Doug Pederson-Andy Reid matchup
- Arrest made in 25-year-old murder of MA woman
- Russia, China stand for diplomatic settlement in Syria, North Korea
- Bond dodges England speculation as he seeks head coaching role
- Heat on Koeman as Everton's EPL slide continues
- Injustice 2 Reveals New Raiden Gameplay and a Special DC Surprise
- Boko Haram kills village chief imam, four others in Borno
- Arrestation d'un 2e suspect et poursuite des perquisitions — Attentat de Londres
- Sharad Yadav shows strength, stakes claim as real JD(U)
- National Child Passenger Safety Week: Does You Child Need a Booster Seat?