Roger Goodell is waiting for a contract extension from NFL owners that will keep him as the league's commissioner for the foreseeable future.
"If it weren't for Jerry's involvement, Goodell's extension could be done", Schefter said.
Just a few weeks ago, it was reported that Goodell and the National Football League owners were close to a contract extension that would lock Goodell in through 2024.
Goodell's contract expires in 2019 and many assumed an extension would be in place before the season began. Both Schefter and Chris Mortensen made a big deal about the fact that Jones has made himself into an unofficial member of the Compensation Committee.
The only real news coming out of the ESPN discussion is that a conference call of the Compensation Committee will happen on Wednesday.
Netanyahu to suggest nullification of Iranian nuclear deal to Trump
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who arrived in NY this weekend, has quite a busy week ahead of him. He will also address this issue during his United Nations speech, which he has been working on feverishly.
Goodell, who was elected commissioner in 2006, has reportedly made more than $200 million in salary leading the NFL.
The compensation committee includes Giants owner John Mara, Robert Kraft of the Patriots (who also has a strained relationship with the commish over Deflategate), Arthur Blank of the Falcons, Clark Hunt of the Chiefs, Bob McNair of the Texans and Art Rooney of the Steelers.
One league source was adamant that while Goodell may not be entirely happy with a new contract proposal, he still has the support of several owners that believe he has a somewhat thankless job in trying to protect the league's image while stepping on the toes of some of its most prominent owners. The Cowboys owner apparently is not opposed to Goodell getting an extension, he's just concerned he makes too much money.
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Singapore Grand Prix
- Iraqi Army Drives ISIS Out from Border Areas
- Dragon will undock from the ISS
- Une abominable tentative d'escroquerie — Disparition de Maëlys
- Banksy donates £200k to peace campaigners from sale of his latest work
- Alexis benched, Ozil left out & still no start for Hazard
- Amber Tamblyn pens poignant op-ed about James Woods 'culture'
- Virat Kohli can surpass Sachin Tendulkar's records, says Virendra Sehwag
- Climat : les Etats-Unis pourraient rester dans l'Accord de Paris
- Roadside Bomb Kills Government Administrator In Northwestern Pakistan