Smith however was insistent that Travis Head would be batting at number four leaving Cartwright the likely choice to open.
Coulter-Nile is playing his first worldwide match since June past year having battled a series of serious injuries. The ball nestled perfectly in his right hand and the sell-out crowd at Chepauk Stadium was silenced as the superstar batsman departed for a duck. "He has had a scan in Chennai and although we believe it is not a serious recurrence, he will not be available for the first few one-day matches here in India", cricket.com.au quoted Kountouris as saying.
Australia confirmed Cartwright had been handed ODI cap no.221 before the toss.
Speaking ahead of the match, Smith said: "We have got a spinning all-rounder, we've got all-rounders that take the pace off the ball and things like that".
Smith is expecting large totals during the five-match series and has put the onus on his top order to produce a sizeable innings.
Mauricio Pochettino "not worried" about Wembley form
Tottenham pay the penalty: The need for Video Assistant Referee (VAR) in the Premier League has never been greater. The Portuguese midfielder remains well short of match fitness and struggled to influence this game.
Peter Handscomb is being flown in from Australia as a cover for Aaron Finch who is struggling to recover from a calf injury.
Smith feels the Chennai surface is likely to be full of runs and highlighted the importance of big runs from the top order.
Australia T20 squad: Steve Smith (c), David Warner, Jason Behrendorff, Dan Christian, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Patrick Cummins, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Glenn Maxwell, Tim Paine, Kane Richardson, Adam Zampa. "So if the wickets are the same you need someone to go on and make a really big score".
While Handscomb has been added to the squad, Finch's absence could open an opportunity for Travis Head to open the Australian batting alongside David Warner when they face India in the first of five-match ODI series on Sunday.
- Des factions palestiniennes saluent la volonté de réconciliation du Hamas
- Roadside Bomb Kills Government Administrator In Northwestern Pakistan
- France - Serbie : Noah veut éviter l'excès de confiance
- Gérard Collomb répond aux policiers, et annonce une hausse de budget
- How to watch the show online
- La Juventus portée par un très bon Dybala — Serie A
- Antonio Conte vows to turn Tiemoue Bakayoko into the complete midfielder
- Canadian National Railway Company (CNI) Raises Dividend to $0.33 Per Share
- Les poids lourds vont-ils payer pour l'entretien des routes ?
- Trump hits back at Clinton, with a golf ball, on Twitter