Kelly Jr. was discovered to have a knee condition that will sideline him upon an examination on Friday morning, the source said.
The Vols take on Florida in Gainesville Saturday at 3:30 p.m. on CBS.
Kelly Jr. originally suffered the injury in the 2016 fall camp, but he played through it his junior season, albeit noticeably a step slower than his first two seasons at Tennessee.
Listen to Montgomery Gentry's New Song, 'Better Me'
It's from a recently completed full-length album and is said to feature Gentry on lead vocals. A new Montgomery Gentry song, "Better Me", is reportedly expected to arrive today (Sept. 15).
Kelly Jr.is expected to get a second opinion on his left knee before any final decisions are made. If he undergoes surgery, he likely would have the option of taking a medical redshirt this season and returning next year as a fifth-year senior.
In the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, the University of Tennessee Athletic Department has warned fans traveling to Saturday's game at Florida to plan ahead for heavy traffic, high waters and gas shortages around the Gainesville area. Last season, Kelly led the Vols with 71 tackles, and had two interceptions, starting 11 of Tennessee's 12 games.
- Snow Leopards Are Finally No Longer Listed as Endangered
- Trump Administration Releases Tiny Sliver Of Mar-A-Lago Visitor Logs
- Custodial death is a crime: SC
- Opera star dismisses robot conductor as lacking soul
- Arsenal player ratings against Cologne: Substitutes shine as Walcott and Iwobi struggle
- Chester Bennington's Son: It Still Feels Like "He's On Vacation"
- Jose to become hurricane, rip currents threaten USA coast
- Duterte May Declare Martial Law
- New Hampshire police seek four missing children
- Woman dies after being struck by commuter rail in Natick