During that meeting, Murphy told the ambassador that Myanmar should publicly acknowledge that Rohingya groups in particular have fled across the border into Bangladesh, a senior State Department official familiar with the conversation told CNN, and that those refugees should now be allowed to return home.
Tillerson stated that Suu Kyi has found herself in a hard and complex situation and that Myanmar's democracy is facing a defining moment.
It is an easy matter, when you put your mind to it, to find excuses for Aung San Suu Kyi - and these days plenty of people are doing so.
The Rohingya, described by the United Nations as among the world's most persecuted peoples, have faced heightened fears of attack since dozens were killed in communal violence in 2012.
McConnell, whose Republicans control majorities in both houses of Congress, repeated earlier criticism of a resolution introduced in the US Senate urging Suu Kyi to do more for Burma's ethnic minority Rohingya population, and lessening the chance that any such measure could pass. And this is going to, in many ways, I think, define the direction that Burma will take.
"Violence in Myanmar has created a humanitarian catastrophe".
Smith bats for peace ahead of India ODIs
The Aussies could even throw in a selection curve ball and opt for Agar to fill Finch's spot at the top. I think both the coach and the captain clearly spoke about the roles each individual has to play.
Myanmar's state counsellor and de-facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace Prize-winner, has been sharply criticized for turning a blind eye to ethnic violence.
UNICEF said on Thursday that about 400,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled Myanmar since August 25, some 60 percent of them children.
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has delivered the toughest condemnation yet from a Trump administration official of the persecution of Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims, likening the violence against them to ethnic cleansing and demanding it stop.
Activists say more than 100 villagers, women and children among them, have been killed by security forces.
According to the government of Bangladesh - where thousands of Rohingya have fled - around 3,000 Rohingya have been killed in the crackdown. "I think many people around the world share that admiration".
- Democratic leaders say they have reached agreement with Trump on DACA
- Hillary Clinton burns Trump when he tries to dis her book
- Stock trading actively: Brixmor Property Group Inc. (BRX)
- Voters to show ID in trials to combat electoral fraud
- Cornerstone OnDemand, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSOD) Among Today's Biggest Gainers - Up by 12.88%
- Senior Housing Properties Trust (NASDAQ:SNHNI) Experiences Lighter than Usual Trading Volume
- Hurricane Jose continues to meander in the Atlantic
- Korea boosting efforts to attract more visitors for PyeongChang Olympics
- All Blacks thrash Springboks
- PulteGroup, Inc. (PHM) Holdings Trimmed by Alliancebernstein LP