A Romanian soldier from a NATO-led mission was killed and two others wounded in Afghanistan on Friday when a vehicle rigged with explosives crashed into their convoy, the Romanian defense ministry said.
But the statement made no mention of fatalities and did not indicate the nationalities of the injured.
Romania, a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation member since 2004, is contributing more than 620 troops to NATO's Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan which faces attacks from Taliban fighters.
A spokesman for the Resolute Support mission, Lieutenant Damien Horvath, told RFE/RL by telephone on September 15 that the coalition could not immediately provide further details about casualties sustained in the incident. The attack took place near the provincial capital of Kandahar province.
Army Corps to resume Lake O flows Friday
Lucie canal on the east side of the lake, the Corps said. "The lake has risen rapidly over the past week", said Col. The outflows we will begin tomorrow morning will help stem that rise though it will not stop it.
But the government in Kabul is struggling to stamp out insurgents following the departure of most North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces from Afghanistan in 2014.
Kandahar has been among the relatively calm provinces in southern Afghanistan during the recent years but the security situation of the province, particularly, the remote districts have started to deteriorate during the recent months and after the Taliban militants increased their focus on key southern provinces after they launched their spring offensive in April this year. "NATO forces ... remain permanent targets of potential insurgent attacks".
It said the wounded members were taken to the Kandahar Airfield hospital.
- I will not enter politics in haste, says Kamal Haasan
- Iraq's Kurdish leader vows to conduct independence referendum
- Brighton boss Hughton always with one eye on the table
- Rosemont hotel freezer death
- Jennifer Lawrence is taking a break from acting to do THIS…
- Merchandise imports shoot up India's Q1 CAD
- Anthem plans to reenter Virginia insurance market
- Genworth Financial, Inc. (NYSE:GNW)
- Two tropical waves are likely to develop and strengthen in the Atlantic
- Marquinhos "Laisser les autres parler"