A 30-year-old taxi driver has been arrested for allegedly raping a 23-year-old woman at a park near Red fort, the police said on Thursday. The driver, identified as 30-year-old Chunnu Mehto, has been arrested and sent to Tihar jail.
According to police, the victim's medical examination has confirmed sexual assault.
The woman, who hails from Ludhiana city in the state of Punjab, had come to Delhi to meet her relatives.
Theresa May to signal United Kingdom desire to maintain close ties with EU
The EU has criticised United Kingdom negotiators, claiming progress on Britain's divorce deal has been too slow. The fourth round of talks will begin on 25 September after they were pushed back by a week.
According to the victim's testimonial, the driver also threatened her of gang-raping if she didn't comply with his demands. On Monday, she got a call from a cousin a Ludhiana who asked her to come down there as there was a job. Around 2 a.m., she exited the waiting room and saw the accused, who introduced himself as taxi driver. She went to the New Delhi railway station on Monday around 11pm to take a train to Ludhiana.
After a while, the cab driver misguided the woman by saying that the train had been cancelled. "Then, he offered to drop her off at a bus stand so that she could travel to Ludhiana by bus", said Deputy Commissioner of Police (north) Jatin Narwal. "After sometime the man told woman that her train was cancelled and that her ticket too can't be cancelled now, as it's late", said a senior police officer. He raped her at the Golden Jubilee Park and later dropped her at Old Delhi Railway Station, she told the police. She narrated the sequence of events when the cops took her for counselling and gave details about the taxi driver, along with the registration number of the taxi.
- Saaho: Prabhas treats Shraddha Kapoor to delicacies from Hyderabad
- Amazon lance son service de streaming musical en France
- Amazon launches its first fashion imaging studio Blink in India
- TRAGEDY GIRLS - First Trailer For The Indie Horror-Comedy
- India Grants Citizenship to 100000 Buddhist, Hindu Refugees
- Where would Dele Alli fit in a Raiola and Mendes team?
- India's wholesale inflation in August accelerates to 3.24%
- Congress backs measure condemning white nationalists
- Siri believes Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield owns Ohio Stadium
- B-52s again bombing targets in Afghanistan