Attorney General Gordon MacDonald says the patient, a woman, was shot and killed by a family member.
Frink had visited his mother previously during her stay at the hospital. He was in custody late Tuesday and couldn't be reached for comment.
"Doctors and nurses are caring for patients, food preparers are preparing food, house keepers are keeping house and we are in recovery from this traumatic event and Dartmouth-Hitchcock will continue to be strong", Chief Clinical Officer Ed Merrens said.
MacDonald said multiple shots had been fired and that resulted in the death of 70-year-old Ferriere, of Groton. No one else was injured in the violence.
"Suspect involved was apprehended without incident...as he was attempting to leave the grounds of the hospital", MacDonald stated on Tuesday.
Warwick police conducted a well-being check here Tuesday night and his children were moved elsewhere. Police could be seen swarming a vehicle with Rhode Island license plates just outside the hospital.
Cohen participated in a 2014 active shooter drill at the medical center.
Authorities say the building is still on lockdown and that they are clearing the area of possible threats, according to the collegiate publication The Dartmouth.
No further details on the suspect's identity were released.
Mandanda forfait contre Konyaspor — Europa League
C'est Yohann Pelé, brillant titulaire la saison dernière, qui gardera le but du club phocéen. Une rencontre qui se jouera dans un stade vide, ou presque.
"The facts gathered to this point reveal that the objective of Mr. Frink's visit to the hospital today was to kill his mother", said New Hampshire Attorney General Gordon MacDonald.
The New Hampshire Attorney General's Office said the Hampshire Department of Justice and the New Hampshire State Police are investigating the incident.
She says the center helped identify the suspect as a Rhode Island resident.
Frink signed into the visitors desk at 1:15 p.m. and police were alerted to the shooting about 10 minutes later.
There has been no confirmation of a shooting.
A man accused of shooting dead his 70-year-old mother as she lay in a hospital intensive care unit will appear at a New Hampshire Court on Wednesday, media reported.
Another hospital employee told WMUR that the hospital issued a "code silver" alert, indicating that someone was possibly being violent with a weapon.
The Dartmouth College campus, in nearby Hanover, is not on lock-down and classes have not been canceled, according to the college's official Twitter account.
- Tesla's vice president of business development leaves after 11 years
- Ouragans Harvey et Irma: les stars se mobilisent et avertissent Trump
- Toshiba: Bain capital de retour, nouvel épisode dans la saga des mémoires
- Suspecté de radicalisation, un intervenant écarté d'un collège — Côte-d'Or
- Pierre-Ambroise Bosse : Les photos chocs de son agression dévoilées !
- Ford Tests Making Autonomous Vehicles Communicate with Pedestrians
- Suspect held after pregnant teacher found dead
- VIDÉO - Castaner promet aux Français… "une augmentation de leur feuille d'impôts"
- Aung San Suu Kyi cancels trip to United Nations amid growing Rohingya crisis
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (WMT) Shares Bought by Thornburg Investment Management Inc