A statue of Francis Scott Key in the Bolton Hill area of Baltimore was vandalized overnight.
At a news conference, police spokesman T.J. Smith said anyone with information about who vandalized the monument should contact police.
McCarthy said there were no plans to remove the Key statue. "Certainly we respect people's right to express an opinion, but there certainly has to be a better and more productive way to express yourself than criminal activity and vandalism".
Proponents of removing the monuments say they represent racism and white supremacy, while supporters of the monuments defend them as part of the history of the U.S.
Baltimore Police received a report of the vandalism at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Jason Day makes caddie change, keeps Colin Swatton as swing coach
Day, who has 10 PGA Tour victories, has suffered through a trying season and hasn't won since the 2016 Players Championship. Phil Mickelson and Bones Mackay parted ways this summer, followed by Rory McIlroy and J.P.
A 225-year-old monument to Christopher Columbus was vandalized in Baltimore last month.
This comes just weeks after the city dismantled and removed four Confederate monuments.
Key, an attorney, was being held captive aboard a British ship off Fort McHenry during the War of 1812, when he penned "The Star Spangled Banner", which would go on to become the national anthem.
According to city records, the statue was dedicated in 1911.
This story will be updated.
- Rand Paul likely to get a war vote
- 'Goodfellas' and 'The Sopranos' star Frank Vincent has died at 78
- Energy Transfer Equity, LP (ETE) Given Daily Media Impact Rating of 0.20
- Hillary Clinton has a theory about why she lost with white women
- Rhode Island man accused of mom shooting in hospital due in court
- End federal DACA program right now — LETTER
- Un Nintendo Direct ce soir pour les titres de fin d'année
- Marines injured in training accident at Camp Pendleton
- India regrets criticism by UN Human Rights body on Rohingya issue
- Could There Already Be A Strictly Come Dancing Romance On The Cards?