A statue of Francis Scott Key in the Bolton Hill area of Baltimore was vandalized overnight.
At a news conference, police spokesman T.J. Smith said anyone with information about who vandalized the monument should contact police.
McCarthy said there were no plans to remove the Key statue. "Certainly we respect people's right to express an opinion, but there certainly has to be a better and more productive way to express yourself than criminal activity and vandalism".
Proponents of removing the monuments say they represent racism and white supremacy, while supporters of the monuments defend them as part of the history of the U.S.
Baltimore Police received a report of the vandalism at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Paul Walker's Daughter Shares Heartfelt Message On His Birthday
Along with sharing a photo of herself dancing with her dad, Meadow nominated his Fast & Furious franchise costar Vin Diesel . Be sure to tag the foundation as well as hashtag #PWFdogoodchallenge , so we can check out all of your posts.
A 225-year-old monument to Christopher Columbus was vandalized in Baltimore last month.
This comes just weeks after the city dismantled and removed four Confederate monuments.
Key, an attorney, was being held captive aboard a British ship off Fort McHenry during the War of 1812, when he penned "The Star Spangled Banner", which would go on to become the national anthem.
According to city records, the statue was dedicated in 1911.
This story will be updated.
- India regrets criticism by UN Human Rights body on Rohingya issue
- Un Nintendo Direct ce soir pour les titres de fin d'année
- Guidelines for debris removal in Lee County
- Jason Day makes caddie change, keeps Colin Swatton as swing coach
- The Humble Capcom X Sega X Atlus Bundle is live
- Mercedes veut une option électrique systématique
- Cardinals place RB Johnson on injured reserve
- Former Psychiatric Patient Attacks Shoppers in Toulouse, Yelling 'Allahu Akbar!'
- Nuclear Nonproliferation Experts Urge Trump Not to Abandon Iran Nuclear Deal
- 'Goodfellas' and 'The Sopranos' star Frank Vincent has died at 78