A statue of Francis Scott Key in the Bolton Hill area of Baltimore was vandalized overnight.
At a news conference, police spokesman T.J. Smith said anyone with information about who vandalized the monument should contact police.
McCarthy said there were no plans to remove the Key statue. "Certainly we respect people's right to express an opinion, but there certainly has to be a better and more productive way to express yourself than criminal activity and vandalism".
Proponents of removing the monuments say they represent racism and white supremacy, while supporters of the monuments defend them as part of the history of the U.S.
Baltimore Police received a report of the vandalism at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Could There Already Be A Strictly Come Dancing Romance On The Cards?
It seems the blonde beauty has grown close to a show dancer - and it is not her own partner, Aljaž Škorjanec. Gemma revealed she is open to finding love as she has been "single for ages", according to The Sun .
A 225-year-old monument to Christopher Columbus was vandalized in Baltimore last month.
This comes just weeks after the city dismantled and removed four Confederate monuments.
Key, an attorney, was being held captive aboard a British ship off Fort McHenry during the War of 1812, when he penned "The Star Spangled Banner", which would go on to become the national anthem.
According to city records, the statue was dedicated in 1911.
This story will be updated.
- 'Goodfellas' and 'The Sopranos' star Frank Vincent has died at 78
- Une nouvelle vidéo montre le tueur juste après l'attentat — Barcelone
- Paul Walker's Daughter Shares Heartfelt Message On His Birthday
- India regrets criticism by UN Human Rights body on Rohingya issue
- Marines injured in training accident at Camp Pendleton
- Energy Transfer Equity, LP (ETE) Given Daily Media Impact Rating of 0.20
- Rian Johnson has no plans to direct 'Star Wars: Episode IX'
- Guidelines for debris removal in Lee County
- Rhode Island man accused of mom shooting in hospital due in court
- Hillary Clinton has a theory about why she lost with white women