Copper prices were down 2.0 percent to $6,538 a tonne around mid-morning. Profit-taking, rising stocks in London Metal Exchange warehouses and nervousness about Chinese demand also contributed to lower copper prices.
The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index fell 3.58 points, or 0.02 percent, to 15,139.83.
"Energy is the one bright factor I'd say and then you have these two opposing forces with the metals and materials on the decline", said Kevin Headland, senior investment strategist at Manulife Investment.
In currency markets, the Canadian dollar was trading at an average price of 82.05 cents United States, down 0.19 of a USA cent.
Williamsburg-James City County school district fully accredited
To see a full breakdown of SOL and assessment scores for individual schools, click on the link in the Related Links box. Pierce Elementary in Remington and Mary Walter Elementary near Bealeton fell short of full accreditation.
"The hurdle rate, or the barrier to success from last year's Q3, Q4 earnings is that much harder. this year", said Headland.
The influential financials group gained 0.2 percent, though most individual advances were modest. Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd jumped 4.4 percent to C$626.86.
Industrials fell 0.6 percent, with Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd off 1.9 percent to C$192.20 a share after a price and ratings cut by National Bank of Canada.
The index had three issues posting a new 52-week high and none posting new lows.
- Target recalls 178000 Room Essentials four-drawer dressers
- Garth Brooks, Keith Urban, Florida Georgia Line to headline Stagecoach 2018
- Shares Trading down at $15.92 (MNR) Monmouth Real Estate Investment…
- Merck & Company, Inc. (NYSE:MRK) has industry P/E ratio of 12.52
- Larry King Reveals Stage 1 Lung Cancer Diagnosis
- Destiny 2 Leviathan Raid Unlock Times for PS4 and Xbox One
- Egypt prosecutors order detention of slain Italian student's lawyer
- Longtime Game Director Bruce Straley Leaves Naughty Dog
- Inflation nears 3% as prices spike again
- Leinster duo Nacewa and Gibson-Park denied entry to South Africa