It is worth a thousand pennies at today's prices but just 24 hours before the Jane Austen notes went into circulation a new polymer £10 note was being offered for sale online for £5,800.
New pound coins and plastic £5 have already gone into circulation this year.
People can continue to spend the existing paper £10 notes for now.
The exact date will be announced at least three months in advance.
Why is there a new £10 note?"Austen's novels have a universal appeal and speak as powerfully today as they did when they were first published".
Bank of England chief cashier Victoria Cleland said: "It is wonderful to see the inspirational author Jane Austen celebrated on the new £10, and even more poignant being launched during the 200th anniversary of her death".
Queen Elizabeth is also featured in a see-through window on the new note.
Justin Bieber's Latest Unlikely Feud Is Over
I'm like, you need to stand down, you're dick height on me, okay? "[Laughs] Alright? So stand down son". His latest brattish behaviour has come at the expense of fellow musician Marilyn Manson .
The transition to polymer has sparked controversy after the Bank confirmed that an "extremely small amount" of tallow, or animal fat, was used to produce polymer pellets, which were part of the production process for creating the notes.
On the front of the new note is the portrait of the Queen as well as Winchester Cathedral, Jane Austen's final resting place, in gold-coloured foil over a see-through window.
This is the first time such a feature has been used on banknotes in the UK.
On the reverse of the note is Jane Austen's portrait with a quotation from her best known work, Pride and Prejudice, which says: "I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading". Bingley has no real interest in literature and instead pretends to be an avid reader to attract the attentions of the book's heartthrob, Mr Darcy.
Ritu Vohora, investment director at M&G Investments, said: "Jane Austen lived through the Napoleonic Wars, yet despite all the political upheaval - cash remained king".
The new tenner is the first Bank of England banknote with a tactile feature to help blind and partially-sighted users.
- Elderly Man Pushes Suspect Off Roof
- Moore: No debate if it includes a moderator
- Arsenal ready to off load flop midfielder Jack Wilshere
- The Top Five Moments From the 2018 Miss America Competition
- Deux lotissements évacués après un incendie — Corse-du-Sud
- 5 morts dans une maison de retraite par manque d'électricité — Floride
- Follow the premier's bribery trial testimony
- Débuts européens de Zulte Waregem ce soir face à l'OGC Nice
- Consultations médicales. De nouvelles tarifications à partir du 1e r novembre
- Frank Vincent : Mort de l'acteur des Sopranos et des Affranchis