The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has a group looking into cryptocurrencies as legal tender, a senior official said on Wednesday, but emphasised the central bank's discomfort with bitcoin which has recently come under intense global regulatory scrutiny.
With the Indian government now trying to move toward a fully digital economy, it has initiated the flagship Digital India initiative and research programs to drive that process forward.
"Right now, we have a group of people who are looking at fiat cryptocurrencies". Something that is an alternative to the Indian rupee, so to speak. "We are looking at that closely", Mr Sen said.
RBI had not previously disclosed its plans on cryptocurrencies and Mr Sen did not provide any details on where discussions on the issue stand. On the other hand, the RBI is not comfortable with non-fiat cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, he said.
Elaborating on what is a non-fiat cryptocurrency, Sen said: "Bitcoins for example".
Rian Johnson has no plans to direct 'Star Wars: Episode IX'
It's the first time I'm revealing that!' A YouTube video has surfaced of Johnson dropping more details for The Last Jedi . Director Rian Johnson has revealed long-time collaborator Joseph Gordon-Levitt has a cameo in Star Wars: The Last Jedi .
As such, any user, holder, investor, trader, etc. dealing with VCs will be doing at their own risk, the RBI informed the parliamentary standing committee on finance.
"I believe its potential is being overstated".
A fiat currency is the legal status given to a currency issued by the central bank.
The Reserve Bank of India further said it has not given any licence and authorisation to any entity or company to operate such schemes or deal with bitcoins or any virtual currency (VCs).
Earlier this week, JPMorgan Chase & Co chief executive officer Jamie Dimon also came out strongly against bitcoin dubbing it a "fraud", and adding that it will blow up.
- Nuclear Nonproliferation Experts Urge Trump Not to Abandon Iran Nuclear Deal
- Kendall Jenner Sued Again for Using Tupac Shakur Image on T-Shirts
- Active Stock You Need to Watch: Banco Bilbao Viscaya Argentaria SA (BBVA)
- Cardinals place RB Johnson on injured reserve
- La recharge sans fil sera disponible sur tous ses terminaux — Apple AirPower
- Ronaldo returns to action for Real Madrid in UEFA Champions League
- Un Nintendo Direct ce soir pour les titres de fin d'année
- KTS Tulsi seeks transfer of case outside Haryana
- Maduro Mutko claims dismissed by Federation Internationale de Football Association
- Mercedes veut une option électrique systématique