However, the legislation was introduced as a joint resolution, which is a mechanism mandating it to be sent over to the President.
The sole black Republican in the Senate, Tim Scott, tried to explain racism in the U.S.to President Donald Trump Wednesday following the events of Charlottesville, Va. that left a woman dead in the wake of a white nationalist rally last month. The Senate approved the measure on Monday.
As of Wednesday morning, the White House has yet to officially comment on whether the president will sign the joint resolution.
The resolution also calls on the Trump administration to "use all resources available" to improve data collection on hate crimes and "address the growing prevalence of those hate groups in the United States". The resolution also acknowledges the heroism and public service of Virginia State Police troopers Berke Bates and Lt. Jay Cullen, who died in the crash of their helicopter while monitoring the protests.
It also calls on Attorney General Jeff Sessions to work with the Department of Homeland Security to "thoroughly" investigate actions taken by white supremacist groups to determine if any criminal laws were broken in Charlottesville. James Alex Fields, a 20-year-old OH man who authorities say drove into Heyer and other protesters, has been charged with second-degree murder and other criminal counts.
White nationalists had gathered in Charlottesville to protest against the planned removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee, who led the pro-slavery Confederacy's army during the U.S. Civil War.
Le Maire : les PEL seront soumis au prélèvement à 30 %
Si vous vous posez la question d'ouvrir un Plan épargne logement (PEL), ce serait bien de le faire avant le 1er janvier 2018. Les PEL ouverts avant cette date conserveront l'exonération d'impôt sur le revenu pendant les 12 premières années d'épargne.
Although Trump has denounced neo-nazis and white supremacists, many in Washington, Republicans and Democrats alike, were not satisfied with the president's response.
"I didn't say I love you because you're black, or I love you because you're white", Trump said at the rally.
"That was what both people came to the meeting wanting to discuss", she added, "is what we can do to bring people together, not talk about divisions within the country".
Lawmakers from Virginia said Congress spoke with "a unified voice" to unequivocally condemn the unrest, in which a counterdemonstrator was killed when a vehicle driven by a suspected white supremacist plowed into a crowd after a rally called by far-right extremists turned violent.
- Why Pep Guardiola has frozen out Yaya Touré recently at Manchester City
- Never really spoke to Harry Styles in One Direction: Zayn Malik
- Vanguard MSCI EAFE ETF is Argent Trust Co's 6th Biggest Stake
- New Details About Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's Legendaries Revealed
- How Many Bellway plc (LON:BWY)'s Analysts Are Bullish?
- Renaissance Technologies LLC Has $634000 Stake in New Relic, Inc. (NEWR)
- Jennifer Lawrence calls beau Darren Aronofsky 'bold, brave, brilliant'
- Jammu Rajdhani Express: Guard coach derails, no casualties reported
- Tatiana Silva arrête temporairement la présentation de la météo
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes