British officials reportedly suspect that North Korea was able to develop its nuclear arsenal quicker than expected due to help from Iran and possibly Russian Federation.
Merkel told Putin she supported efforts of the U.N. Security Council to rapidly adopt further sanctions against North Korea to make Pyongyang change its course, he added.
"The only conceivable solution is a peaceful and diplomatic one". North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has threatened a missile attack on the USA territory of Guam and even the US mainland - prompting warnings of retaliation, in the form of economic sanctions and possible military action, from Trump and other USA officials.
"While North Korea is in possession of nuclear bombs and is using them as a threat, it lacks the Islamic Republic of Iran's diplomatic power that stems from its population size, global sway and strategic depth", he said. "There is now an investigation into exactly how the country has managed to make this leap in technological ability", he said last week while taking questions from MPs about the North Korea crisis.
Pinellas becomes the latest school district to delay reopening to Monday
Currently, 66 local schools remain without electricity, though efforts to remedy that are ongoing. At this time, only essential staff is to report as directed by their supervisors.
Merkel has said she would be prepared to become involved in a diplomatic initiative to end the North Korean nuclear and missile programs, and suggested that negotiations held to reach the Iran nuclear deal could be a model.
The US plans to bring a draft resolution toughening sanctions against North Korea to a vote at the UN Security Council for the nuclear test carried out by the country on September 3. Those talks were begun by the Europeans and later expanded to include the five permanent member states of the United Nations Security Council, plus Germany, and chaired by the European Union's foreign policy chief.
The German leader said that was "a long but important time of diplomacy" that ultimately had a "good end" a year ago, referring to when the deal was implemented. Europe and in particular Germany should be ready to contribute a very active part.
- Hurricane Irma gives Florida a coast-to-coast pummeling
- Flynn Promoted Nuclear-Plant Project While in White House
- US Senate approves resolution condemning white supremacist groups
- Kenny Chesney's Island Home Torn Apart by Hurricane Irma
- Trump calls on Congress to accelerate Tax reform legislation
- Vikings QB Sam Bradford Named Offensive Player Of The Week
- IRMA: 4 dead from unrelated carbon monoxide poisoning
- AMC Entertainment Holdings' (AMC) Buy Rating Reaffirmed at Citigroup Inc
- "C'est vrai que j'ai été proche de quitter Arsenal" — Giroud
- Nevada gas prices highest in two years