Railing against the MK's "public desecration of Heaven", the rabbis demanded that the leaders of the Shas party "remove and fire" MK Yigal Guetta "immediately".
An ultra-Orthodox Jewish lawmaker resigned from the Israeli legislature on Wednesday after drawing rabbis' wrath for attending his gay nephew's wedding.
Shas chairman Arye Dery said that Guetta spoke to him this morning and informed him of his decision to leave the Knesset.
"Minister Deri told MK Guetta that he respects his decision, expressed his appreciation for him and thanked him for his valuable work and for the new and energetic spirit he introduced to Shas", |Deri's office stated. The statement explains that Dery said that Guetta will still play a role in the party.
"I told him I don't understand about such things".
Merck & Company, Inc. (MRK) Stake Raised by AE Wealth Management LLC
The company reported $1.01 earnings per share for the quarter, beating the Thomson Reuters' consensus estimate of $0.87 by $0.14. Walleye Trading Ltd Liability Corp stated it has 5,375 shares or 0% of all its holdings. (NYSE:MRK) or 1.27 million shares.
"It's sad that in Israel in 2017 an MK is forced to resign because he participated in the wedding of two people who love each other", said Lapid on Twitter. However, Guetta told his nephew that does not really officiate weddings but would help him find a rabbi who is an expert.
Guetta also said that he told his children that the Torah rejects gay marriage.
"My entire family went to the wedding", the MK, Yigal Guetta told Israel Army Radio earlier this week. "We went with the entire family", Guetta explained. "I usually don't tell my kids to what events they should go, but this time I told them attendance was mandatory".
"I had told my kids beforehand that 'we're going to make him happy because he's my sister's son and I want him to be happy, but I want you to know that according to the Torah this wedding is forbidden and an abomination", he added.
After he announced his resignation amid the harsh criticism in the Orthodox community, Guetta's daughter took to Facebook to defend him, saying that she is proud of her father.
- Wind and rain from Hurricane Irma move into South Carolina
- The Viacom Inc. (VIAB) Upgraded by Barrington Research to "Outperform"
- Blue Jays activate Russell Martin from DL
- Volkswagen et Mercedes-Benz misent pleinement sur l'électrique
- Archbishop Tutu slams Suu Kyi over Rohingya crisis
- Significant decrease in top Junior Cert grades
- Supreme Court Justice Stays Appeals Court Ruling Limiting Trump Travel Ban
- Domino's Pizza Lifted to "Buy" By Research Firm Zacks
- Remembering Sept. 11, 2001: America under attack
- Bryant, Quintana help Cubs beat Mets