Brexit Britain will be the best country in the world to do maritime business with due to more trade opportunities, more jobs and more investment in new technologies, the UK's Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has said. "Europe can deliver for its citizens where and when it matters".
With the rise of populism - after Brexit and the election of US President Donald Trump - apparently at bay for now, and growth returning after the debt crisis, Juncker said there were reasons to be cheerful.
After fierce criticism from Britain over inefficiency in the EU, Juncker proposed that his role as president of the European Commission be merged with that of the European Council. His plan comes on the heels of a provisional EU free-trade accord with Japan and a week before a hard-fought European deal with Canada enters into force.
The "future partnership paper" sets out Britain's willingness "to contribute military assets" to Europe's security, as fears grow - in Eastern Europe in particular - about increased Russian aggression.
The European Commission President used his speech to call for a special summit of an EU of 27 member states on the 30th March 2019, the day after Britain will formally leave the EU.
"We will regret [Brexit]", Mr Juncker said to the wider audience beyond the parliament, and I think [the British people] will regret it too.
With the European Union under fire for policies perceived to be blocking migrants in risky and sordid detention centers in Libya, Juncker said "Europe has got a collective responsibility" to help improve conditions there.
Debuchy attaque les dirigeants de Nice
De son côté, Julien Fournier a assumé et reconnu un manque de tact: "Là où il a raison, c'est que que j'aurais dû l'appeler". Par contre, Debuchy a été tout proche de rejoindre Nice, qui lui a finalement préféré Christophe Jallet.
Twelve months later, that cloud is still there, and the European Union continues to be beset by a variety of problems.
While he praised efforts that have sharply reduced migrant flows, he said Europe must continue to provide refuge to those fleeing persecution.
He also proposed an European Union framework to screen foreign investments in Europe when concerns arise about unfair competition, particularly in strategic industries.
Europe, he insisted, "is not a fortress and must never become one".
Jean-Claude Juncker said such a minister should be also the chairman of all euro zone finance ministers and be accountable to the European Parliament.
Having had a say in how the system is shaped, most analysts believe that Britain will remain part of the system, following a similar path to Norway, which has companies that participate in the scheme despite the country not being an European Union member.
- Danny Welbeck's form gives Arsenal a good kind of selection headache
- Ramsey And Özil Rested For Europa League Clash
- Amid Hellboy Reboot Controversy, Lost Actor Could Replace Ed Skrein
- Evaluate Stock's Volatility before Making Any Investment Decision: 3M Company (MMM)
- Percentage Price Oscillator Histogram Above Zero for Coca-Cola West Co Ltd (CCOJY)
- Movie about marathon bombing survivor premiering at hospital
- LaVar Ball plans to design his own Big Baller Brand $1500 shoe
- Houses more affordable across half of United Kingdom now than in 2007
- 'RHOM' Cast Member Lisa Hochstein Slammed for Photo Snapped Before Hurricane Irma
- Le Drian évoque une reprise du dialogue entre gouvernement et opposition — Venezuela