(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara) Dark clouds are seen over Miami's skyline before the arrival of Hurricane Irma to south Florida, U.S. September 9, 2017. The second one, in Marco Island, left the island without water and power, authorities said. Forecasters expect it to become a tropical depression on Tuesday.
A man died in Worth County, Georgia, on Monday while repairing the roof of a shed during sustained winds of 67kph with gusts up to 112kph, a National Weather Service report said. At least 36 people were left dead in the storm's wake across the Caribbean.
- Irma's center will move near the northwestern coast of the Florida peninsula Monday morning and into southern Georgia in the afternoon, and through southwestern Georgia and eastern Alabama tonight and Tuesday, the center said.
Coastal flooding from Irma has now affected four large cities, each of which has been seeing increased flooding as sea levels rise from climate change: Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Charleston, South Carolina.
The figure represents nearly 60% of the state's electricity users, who were still experiencing power outage as of 9 p.m. EDT Monday, according to the state's Division of Emergency Management. But by the time Irma arrived in the middle of the night Monday, its winds were down to 100 miles per hour (161 kph) or less. In flood-prone Miami, the largest United States city in Irma's path, cleaning crews began clearing branches, debris and fallen street signs at dawn on Monday.
If the water hadn't pushed out, Shiveley said, storm surge could have been in the eight or nine-foot range.
Travailleurs détachés: Juncker veut une "autorité commune" de l'UE
Juncker, rejetant en revanche l'idée d'un parlement spécifique de la zone euro, caressée par M. Il est en revanche favorable à la création d'un ministre des Finances de la zone euro.
Six deaths in Florida have been blamed on Irma, along with three in Georgia and one in SC.
Speaking as he went on an aerial tour of the Keys to survey the damage early on Monday, he said: "Power lines are down throughout the state". "You can't survive these storm surges", he said.
He said the ocean side of the island chain was "absolutely smashed", with many boats and homes leveled by more than a day of hurricane force winds.
In Alabama, some city school districts including Birmingham, Huntsville and Auburn planned to close Monday and in some cases Tuesday.
Marg Gagliostro, hurricane survivor, "it was surreal just looked like a war zone walking down here with all the palm trees down and other trees snapped just like toothpicks", the Gagliostro family rode out Hurricane Irma from their fourth floor condo.
It cut a devastating track across 10 Caribbean countries and territories, killing at least 28 people there.
- Saudi Arabia rejects call for independent United Nations probe into Yemen
- The Evil Within 2 : un jeu de malades mentaux
- Target is hiring more than 100000 holiday workers
- Supreme Court Justice Stays Appeals Court Ruling Limiting Trump Travel Ban
- Indian American Raj Shah gets key post in Trump's communications team
- Blue Jays activate Russell Martin from DL
- Broker Changes For Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:MPC)
- Bryant, Quintana help Cubs beat Mets
- Wonder Woman 2: Sequel has ALREADY broken THIS huge record
- Significant decrease in top Junior Cert grades