(AP Photo/Chris O'Meara) Dark clouds are seen over Miami's skyline before the arrival of Hurricane Irma to south Florida, U.S. September 9, 2017. The second one, in Marco Island, left the island without water and power, authorities said. Forecasters expect it to become a tropical depression on Tuesday.
A man died in Worth County, Georgia, on Monday while repairing the roof of a shed during sustained winds of 67kph with gusts up to 112kph, a National Weather Service report said. At least 36 people were left dead in the storm's wake across the Caribbean.
- Irma's center will move near the northwestern coast of the Florida peninsula Monday morning and into southern Georgia in the afternoon, and through southwestern Georgia and eastern Alabama tonight and Tuesday, the center said.
Coastal flooding from Irma has now affected four large cities, each of which has been seeing increased flooding as sea levels rise from climate change: Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Charleston, South Carolina.
The figure represents nearly 60% of the state's electricity users, who were still experiencing power outage as of 9 p.m. EDT Monday, according to the state's Division of Emergency Management. But by the time Irma arrived in the middle of the night Monday, its winds were down to 100 miles per hour (161 kph) or less. In flood-prone Miami, the largest United States city in Irma's path, cleaning crews began clearing branches, debris and fallen street signs at dawn on Monday.
If the water hadn't pushed out, Shiveley said, storm surge could have been in the eight or nine-foot range.
Le Season Pass de Star Wars Battlefront offert
En effet, et depuis peu, le season pass de Star Wars Battlefront est proposé gratuitement sur PS4 et Xbox One . Enfin, gardez en tête que l'offre est "à durée limitée" et que Origin ne précise pas quand elle prendra fin.
Six deaths in Florida have been blamed on Irma, along with three in Georgia and one in SC.
Speaking as he went on an aerial tour of the Keys to survey the damage early on Monday, he said: "Power lines are down throughout the state". "You can't survive these storm surges", he said.
He said the ocean side of the island chain was "absolutely smashed", with many boats and homes leveled by more than a day of hurricane force winds.
In Alabama, some city school districts including Birmingham, Huntsville and Auburn planned to close Monday and in some cases Tuesday.
Marg Gagliostro, hurricane survivor, "it was surreal just looked like a war zone walking down here with all the palm trees down and other trees snapped just like toothpicks", the Gagliostro family rode out Hurricane Irma from their fourth floor condo.
It cut a devastating track across 10 Caribbean countries and territories, killing at least 28 people there.
- Target is hiring more than 100000 holiday workers
- State treasurer tells lawmakers - No More Borrowing
- Hillary Clinton Compares Herself To Game of Thrones' Cersei Lannister
- Analysts Rated Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (COG) as Buy
- Watch the Best Celebrations from Week 1 Including Stafon Diggs' MNF Show
- Un nouveau tatouage jusqu'aux fesses pour Coeur de Pirate
- Significant decrease in top Junior Cert grades
- De Bruyne's Manchester City masterclass delights Guardiola
- The Viacom Inc. (VIAB) Upgraded by Barrington Research to "Outperform"
- Domino's Pizza Lifted to "Buy" By Research Firm Zacks