A unit of NextEra Energy Inc and the state's biggest power company, FPL said more than 3.6 million of its customers were without service.
A recent view from NASA's Aqua satellite on Saturday morning revealed cold temperatures in the cloud tops of thunderstorms surrounding Hurricane Irma's core, as well as in a band of thunderstorms over the Florida Keys.
A storm surge is a gradual rise in the water level caused by a major storm's wind as it gets closer to shore. Karen Clark & Co., a catastrophe modeling firm, estimated that a Hurricane Katrina storm could inflict $175 billion in damage on Tampa Bay, and the surrounding area.
It's a headline I never thought I'd have to write because I never thought that people would need to be told not to do something like this.
Bryant, Quintana help Cubs beat Mets
For the rest of us, it will be mighty fun seeing if they can figure it out in time. (Ben Zobrist) had really good at-bats. The first six games will be on the road before the team opens the home slate against Detroit on Thursday, April 5th.
While tropical cyclones and tornadoes are both vortexes that swirl in the atmosphere, they have different structures, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA. From his perspective high above the Earth, you can really get a sense for just how huge the storm was, and how its long cloud bands alter the weather landscape far from the hurricane itself. "You won't make it turn around & it will have very dangerous side effects", the Pasco Sheriff's office tweeted late Saturday.
Photo: Joe Raedle/GETTY Debris blown around by high winds is seen in the street as hurricane Irma arrives on September 10, 2017 in Miami, Florida. "This is clearly a life-threatening situation. These winds are coming". It was cool to see the response this got from Facebook.
"Pray, pray for everybody in Florida", Gov. Rick Scott said on "Fox News Sunday". "Storm shutters are closed", he said. Almost three months remain in the Atlantic hurricane season, which runs through November.
The ministry added 11 people suspected of "malicious actions" had been arrested since Friday.
Trump also approved Florida's request for emergency federal aid to help rebuild once Irma passes through.
He was providing updates from Sunday afternoon's emergency Cobra meeting which was chaired by Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon.
- Remembering Sept. 11, 2001: America under attack
- Hillary Clinton Compares Herself To Game of Thrones' Cersei Lannister
- Domino's Pizza Lifted to "Buy" By Research Firm Zacks
- Archbishop Tutu slams Suu Kyi over Rohingya crisis
- Volkswagen présente l'ID CROZZ II — Salon de Francfort
- 'Leave Britney alone' guy celebrates 10 year anniversary
- Solberg To Return As PM After Close Norwegian Election
- De Bruyne's Manchester City masterclass delights Guardiola
- Saudi Arabia rejects call for independent United Nations probe into Yemen
- Explosion at cricket stadium during match - at least three dead