At least two Egyptian soldiers and five militants were killed on Wednesday when security forces foiled a terror operation in the restive North Sinai Province bordering Israel and the Palestinian Gaza Strip, the Egyptian military said.
"One of the extremists wearing an explosives belt attempted to break into a military checkpoint, but the forces were alert and they killed him and directly dealt with his fellows", Military Spokesman Tamer al-Refaay said in a statement.
Security officials said the attack took place just outside the border town of Rafah and that the two conscripts died when the suicide bomber blew himself up.
Réforme du Code du travail: les mesures qui fâchent les Français
Ces déclarations interviennent au lendemain d'une journée de mobilisation, à l'appel de la CGT. Les manifestants étaient entre 223.000 (ministère de l'Intérieur) et 400.000 (syndicats).
The incident comes two days after 18 security personnel were killed when their vehicles struck a series of roadside bombs in northeastern Sinai.
The Velayat Sinai militant group, which is an affiliate of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, has claimed responsibility for most of the assaults.
Egypt's Sinai Peninsula has remained the epicenter of a deadly militant insurgency since mid-2013, when Mohamed Morsi, Egypt's first freely-elected president, was ousted and imprisoned in a bloody military coup.
- Onfray refuse de travailler gratuitement dans "L'Émission politique"
- How to know if you were affected by the Equifax breach
- Galaxy S8, S8+ to get Google mobile OS v8.0 soon
- New Shanghai Shenhua boss Wu Jingui: Tevez won't play while overweight
- Jennifer López sorprende con sensual baile
- Prince George's school security review after break
- 10000 evacuated from Moscow public spaces over bomb threats
- Two-thirds approve of Trump's outreach to Democrats
- Australian man has given his apricot kernels to prevent prostate cancer
- Premiere: Viel Lob für Schiedsrichterin Bibiana Steinhaus