The Belgium worldwide took another significant step towards full fitness after suffering a broken ankle at the end of last season in the win over Qarabag, coming on as a 58th minute substitute to add to the 12 minutes he played against Leicester on Saturday.
It was an uncomfortable introduction to the Champions League group stage for Qarabag, the defensively feeble Azerbaijan champions who first conceded after five minutes when Pedro Rodriguez bent the ball past Sehic. In my past sometimes before a Champions League game I could rest players.
Eden Hazard made his second substitute appearance for Chelsea of the season after his broken ankle, but Conte said it was too soon to say whether the Belgium playmaker would start on Sunday against Arsenal.
The Premier League champions face the added challenge this season of playing again in Europe and, while a 6-0 win against debutants Qarabag clearly only gave a minimal indication of their strength, Conte said that he was now sure of his players. "To score many goals, to win and to have a clean sheet - I saw a lot of positive things tonight", Conte said. It's not easy to totally change your sporting life in one week, but the answer was very good.
The Azeris, who have won their domestic championship for the last four years, were given little room and time to produce their best football.
Ederson returns to Manchester City training wearing protective helmet
But Kompany is unlikely to travel to the Netherlands after suffering the injury to his calf on worldwide duty with Belgium. Feyenoord U19's have been beaten 2-0 by Manchester City in their opening UEFA Youth League match.
"Davide Zappacosta played a really good game tonight but he must continue to work to improve", Conte said in his post-match analysis. For the first game in the Champions League, I chose to start with rotation.
Just like Zappacosta, Tiemoue Bakayoko marked his Champions League debut for Chelsea with a goal in the 71st minute after coming off the bench.
"We must be calm and to do the best for the player and for the team".
"We have to be on top, and as the coach says eat well and sleep well, and try to recover well for Sunday".
'Otherwise we risk bad injury and delaying the situation. We have a lot of games to play this season. Chelsea played very good.
- Centene Corporation (NYSE:CNC) Shares Bought by Aviva PLC
- Marriott Rescue Ship for Guests Only, Others Left in Irma's Wake
- Raveena Tandon's unbelievable transformation will leave you shocked
- Pet owners facing charges for abandoning animals in Hurricane Irma
- Air Canada latest with B737 MAX transatlantic service
- North Korea is trying to amass a bitcoin war chest
- Chelsea crush debutants Qarabag on return to Europe
- Marseille, Rudi Garcia fragilisé ?
- UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Priyanka Chopra visits Syrian refugees camp in Jordan
- Spanish court blocks Catalonia's second law on referendum