In a statement made available to journalists yesterday, the chairman of the South-east Senate caucus said the Igbo senators viewed the military operation as one that could compromise their ongoing engagement with the Nnamdi Kanu-led Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), which the lawmakers suggested were exercising their constitutionally-backed rights.
The Tuesday incident is coming barley 48 hours after Nigeria Army denied attacking Kanu's home on Sunday, an incident in which three people were purportedly killed and many others wounded.
While speaking with journalists, Kanu said the soldiers, loaded in an armoured tank and three Hilux vans shot his supporters.
The recent development has caused panic in the state, forcing shops to close and people to stay within the confines of their houses.
The soldiers reportedly claimed they had seen someone taking pictures of them from the NUJ building.
IPOB's spokesperson, Emma Powerful, confirmed the incident to DAILY POST.
"Our press centre was invaded by soldiers, two Journalists lost their IPads and phones, while a national leader in the office was attacked".
Travailleurs détachés: Juncker veut une "autorité commune" de l'UE
Juncker, rejetant en revanche l'idée d'un parlement spécifique de la zone euro, caressée par M. Il est en revanche favorable à la création d'un ministre des Finances de la zone euro.
"Our stand is that those involved in this attack on innocent journalists should be fished out and punished in line with the Constitution of the country".
He said he asked the Chairman of the Council to send the photographs of the damaged office to him.
He tweeted: "I condemn the raid on Nnamdi Kanu's home by the army".
Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has condemed the raid on Nnamdi Kanu's home by the officers of the Nigerian Army on Sunday.
However a statement from the Army says the report is "far from the truth".
He added that a soldier and a female passerby who were injured during the attack are now receiving treatment at the unit's medical inspection room.
"Members of the public are please requested to go about their lawful businesses and report any suspicious activity to the nearest police station or security outfit".
- Driver flees scene following fatal crash in Hope
- Wonder Woman 2: Sequel has ALREADY broken THIS huge record
- The Top Three Holders Of Banco Bradesco SA (BBD)
- Un nouveau tatouage jusqu'aux fesses pour Coeur de Pirate
- Analysts Rated Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (COG) as Buy
- Domino's Pizza Lifted to "Buy" By Research Firm Zacks
- Hillary Clinton Compares Herself To Game of Thrones' Cersei Lannister
- Irma Heads North, Downgraded to a Tropical Storm
- The Evil Within 2 : un jeu de malades mentaux
- Generator Leads To Irma's 3rd South Carolina Death; 2 Killed In Georgia