In a statement made available to journalists yesterday, the chairman of the South-east Senate caucus said the Igbo senators viewed the military operation as one that could compromise their ongoing engagement with the Nnamdi Kanu-led Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), which the lawmakers suggested were exercising their constitutionally-backed rights.
The Tuesday incident is coming barley 48 hours after Nigeria Army denied attacking Kanu's home on Sunday, an incident in which three people were purportedly killed and many others wounded.
While speaking with journalists, Kanu said the soldiers, loaded in an armoured tank and three Hilux vans shot his supporters.
The recent development has caused panic in the state, forcing shops to close and people to stay within the confines of their houses.
The soldiers reportedly claimed they had seen someone taking pictures of them from the NUJ building.
IPOB's spokesperson, Emma Powerful, confirmed the incident to DAILY POST.
"Our press centre was invaded by soldiers, two Journalists lost their IPads and phones, while a national leader in the office was attacked".
Hyde Park man critically wounded in Boston Common shooting
Emerson College did advise its students on campus to go to the nearest room, lock the doors and silence their phones. A 19-year-old man from Hyde Park is fighting for his life after a shooting on the Boston Common Tuesday evening.
"Our stand is that those involved in this attack on innocent journalists should be fished out and punished in line with the Constitution of the country".
He said he asked the Chairman of the Council to send the photographs of the damaged office to him.
He tweeted: "I condemn the raid on Nnamdi Kanu's home by the army".
Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, has condemed the raid on Nnamdi Kanu's home by the officers of the Nigerian Army on Sunday.
However a statement from the Army says the report is "far from the truth".
He added that a soldier and a female passerby who were injured during the attack are now receiving treatment at the unit's medical inspection room.
"Members of the public are please requested to go about their lawful businesses and report any suspicious activity to the nearest police station or security outfit".
- Target is hiring more than 100000 holiday workers
- Russell Investments Group Ltd. Sells 12040 Shares of Control4 Corporation (CTRL)
- Indian American Raj Shah gets key post in Trump's communications team
- The Evil Within 2 : un jeu de malades mentaux
- Un nouveau tatouage jusqu'aux fesses pour Coeur de Pirate
- Wonder Woman 2: Sequel has ALREADY broken THIS huge record
- Saudi Arabia rejects call for independent United Nations probe into Yemen
- Broker Changes For Marathon Petroleum Corporation (NYSE:MPC)
- Apple iPhone X malfunctions at launch
- Generator Leads To Irma's 3rd South Carolina Death; 2 Killed In Georgia