HISTORY announced Tuesday that they had officially ordered 20 episodes for a sixth season of the seafaring epic.
Star Katheryn Winnick will also direct an episode in season 6, it's been confirmed. Vikings season 6 will have 20 episodes with one directed by Winnick. The season 5 cast includes Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Bishop Heahmun along with Winnick, Gustaf Skarsgård (Floki), Alexander Ludwig (Bjorn), Alex Høgh Andersen (Ivar the Boneless), Jordan Smith (Ubbe) and Marco Ilso (Hvitserk).
Production on Season 6 is scheduled to start in the fall in Ireland, "Vikings'" home base.
With the upcoming season of Vikings set to be it's biggest yet, with the series diverging from Ragnar's story to focus on his band of sons, it's no surprise that Eli Lehrer, History's executive vice president of programming, is excited to see the series expanding to forty episodes over the next two seasons.
Macron, Johnson visit hurricane-hit Caribbean
The French have already deployed more than 1000 personnel to the Caribbean region in an aid-and-relief effort. Irma crawled across Cuba's northern coast, bearing down on the island nation as a Category 5 hurricane .
Vikings is an global Irish/Canadian co-production by World 2000 and Take 5 Productions. It is also a top-five drama across ad supported cable and averaged 4.1 million total viewers last season in Live+7. It is produced in association with Corus Entertainment.
"It has been my pleasure and my privilege to work with History and our partner MGM over five seasons and 69 episodes of "Vikings".
"Vikings has creatively sailed to monumental lengths". There are many reasons why I love this show, not least for the commitment and creativity of everyone involved in making it, but perhaps even more important is the spirit that drives this production - one of the happiest, most collaborative and most authentic productions I have ever been involved with.
Created and written by Michael Hirst (Elizabeth, The Tudors), Vikings is a family saga that follows the lives and adventures of the raiders and explorers of the Dark Ages. "We look forward to continuing our partnership with one of the greatest writers in this era of Peak TV and entertaining our viewers with 40 new episodes over the next two seasons". "And so we sail on".
- UN Security Council slaps fresh sanctions on defiant North Korea
- 250 prisonniers potentiellement armés se sont évadés d'une prison de Saint-Martin
- Sanctions on Kim Jong-un regime just a small step, claims US
- Border agents south of Tucson find 3 Mexican nationals under van's floorboard
- Florida governor: 76K people without power
- Merkel reiterates Iran deal should be model for solving North Korea crisis
- Kulbhushan Jadhav case: ICJ to resume hearing today
- Police ask to use pepper spray ahead of Berkeley protests
- Now you will able to delete sent messages from your friend's WhatsApp
- Mohsin Hamid makes it to shortlist of Man Booker Prize