HISTORY announced Tuesday that they had officially ordered 20 episodes for a sixth season of the seafaring epic.
Star Katheryn Winnick will also direct an episode in season 6, it's been confirmed. Vikings season 6 will have 20 episodes with one directed by Winnick. The season 5 cast includes Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Bishop Heahmun along with Winnick, Gustaf Skarsgård (Floki), Alexander Ludwig (Bjorn), Alex Høgh Andersen (Ivar the Boneless), Jordan Smith (Ubbe) and Marco Ilso (Hvitserk).
Production on Season 6 is scheduled to start in the fall in Ireland, "Vikings'" home base.
With the upcoming season of Vikings set to be it's biggest yet, with the series diverging from Ragnar's story to focus on his band of sons, it's no surprise that Eli Lehrer, History's executive vice president of programming, is excited to see the series expanding to forty episodes over the next two seasons.
Oil market moving back into balance: IEA
The 12 members of OPEC bound by a supply-cutting pact raised their compliance to 82 percent in August from 75 percent in July. Supply is also said to have been hampered by Hurricane Harvey in the US , which caused refineries to shut.
Vikings is an global Irish/Canadian co-production by World 2000 and Take 5 Productions. It is also a top-five drama across ad supported cable and averaged 4.1 million total viewers last season in Live+7. It is produced in association with Corus Entertainment.
"It has been my pleasure and my privilege to work with History and our partner MGM over five seasons and 69 episodes of "Vikings".
"Vikings has creatively sailed to monumental lengths". There are many reasons why I love this show, not least for the commitment and creativity of everyone involved in making it, but perhaps even more important is the spirit that drives this production - one of the happiest, most collaborative and most authentic productions I have ever been involved with.
Created and written by Michael Hirst (Elizabeth, The Tudors), Vikings is a family saga that follows the lives and adventures of the raiders and explorers of the Dark Ages. "We look forward to continuing our partnership with one of the greatest writers in this era of Peak TV and entertaining our viewers with 40 new episodes over the next two seasons". "And so we sail on".
- Florida governor: 76K people without power
- USA diplomatic tiff with Russian Federation should not be escalated: State Department
- Sanctions on Kim Jong-un regime just a small step, claims US
- Police ask to use pepper spray ahead of Berkeley protests
- Cuba counts the cost of deadly Hurricane Irma
- Mohsin Hamid makes it to shortlist of Man Booker Prize
- United Kingdom police release new image of jogger in London bus mystery
- Quatre Allemands meurent dans le crash d'un avion de tourisme — Haute-Corse
- Almost 540000 ordered to flee Georgia coast ahead of Irma
- Katia weakens to tropical depression over Mexico