Thames Water officials said Tuesday it is likely to take three weeks to dissolve the outsize fatberg.
Thames Water's Matt Rimmer says the fatberg is "a total monster and taking a lot of manpower and machinery to remove as it's set hard".
CCTV camera inspections showed the 1,200mm high by 700mm wide sewer to be totally blocked by the fatberg, which is 3.5 metres deep.
The fatberg is around 250 metres in length and among the biggest that workers have ever seen, a Thames Water spokesperson told Metro.co.uk that the task in front of them is "basically like trying to break up concrete".
It will take specialist workers around three weeks to chip away at the beast with extra-powerful jet hoses, break it down and clear the Victorian sewer by sucking out the muck. Ugh. Such blockages are caused by cooking fat, oil and grease being washed down sinks and wipes and disposable nappies flushed down the loo instead of put in waste disposal bins.
Thames Water said work will continue throughout September until the sewer is clear. It's fortunate in this case that we have only had to close off a few parking bays to get to the sewer.
USA military strike would be 'a very sad day for North Korea'
Trump added that if the United States has to a military action against Pyongyang, "It will be a very sad day for North Korea". The watered-down resolution does not include sanctions that the US wanted on North Korea's national airline and the army.
The discovery dwarfs the "bus-sized" fatberg uncovered in Kingston in 2013 which tipped the scales at 15 tonnes.
'Often we have to shut roads entirely, which can cause widespread disruption - especially in London'.
Fatbergs - congealed fat which clumps together with other waste products to form concrete-style blocks - are becoming increasingly problematic in sewers across the United Kingdom, particularly in London.
A massive 20 to 30 tons will be removed from the fat mass under Whitechapel Road by an eight-man crew, every day.
In neighbouring Bedfordshire a line of fatbergs recently clogged a 100metre-long pipeline.
- Pékin Express revient sur M6 pour de nouvelles aventures
- Six professeurs visés par une plainte — Gaillac
- Qualcomm enabled some many Android firsts and exclusives, claims chipmaker
- Verschärfter Ton - UNO verhängt neue Sanktionen gegen Nordkorea [1:56]
- Tesla débride à distance ses voitures pour aider les victimes d'Irma
- Continuous Sitting for Most of the Day May Increase Mortality Risk
- Le gaucher que Zidane compara à Messi
- " "Matthieu Delormeau reviendra en " simple " invité le 20 septembre — TPMP
- Liverpool target now on Real Madrid radar
- Leicester City to double winger Demarai Gray's wages