"There is a serious threat of significant storm surge flooding along the entire west coast of Florida", Governor Rick Scott told a press conference. Some attempted to leave the state and flee north before Irma makes its trip up Florida.
The WTXL First Alert Weather team is on duty throughout the course of this tropical weather situation.
Two tornadoes touched down in Brevard County, on the Atlantic Coast; Miami's major airport sustained damage and remained closed; and storm surges and additional flooding were expected on the Gulf Coast.
Gale-force winds could cause trouble for boaters near the coast, but other than some rip-current warnings, no weather advisories are now in effect anywhere in North Carolina from Irma.
Officials in Florida have ordered a total of 6.3 million people, or about a third of the state's population, to evacuate, creating massive traffic jams on highways and overcrowding shelters.
"We don't have a comprehensive insight into what the damage is", Bryan Koon, Florida director of Emergency Management said late Sunday.
Apple Announces Apple Watch Series 3, Its First Internet-connected Wearable
The crowds watched on as a video showing how people use the Watch to track their fitness regimes were played in the theatre. The display of the Apple Watch itself is the cellular antenna and there is an electronic SIM integrated inside the watch.
Officials have warned of a humanitarian crisis in the islands of the Florida Keys.
The Tampa skyline in the background as local residents (L-R) Rony Ordonez, Jean Dejesus, and Henry Gallego take photographs after walking into Hillsborough Bay ahead of Hurricane Irma in Tampa, Fla., on September 10, 2017.
- At least 26 deaths have been blamed on Irma in the Caribbean islands, where it hit before barreling toward Florida.
The storm, located about 5 miles (10 kilometers) west of Columbus, Georgia, is still bringing heavy rain to the U.S. Southeast on Monday night.
Given Irma's mammoth size and strength and its projected course, it could prove one of the most devastating hurricanes ever to hit Florida and inflict damage on a scale not seen here in 25 years. Reports say that 10,000 people made a decision to ride out the storm.
Gov. Henry McMaster lauded the early efforts to inform the public of the danger of the powerful hurricane when early forecast tracks had it pointed towards SC.
Gastesi left early Saturday morning ahead of Hurricane Irma.
- Supreme Court Judges skip state opening of Parliament presided by Uhuru Kenyatta
- Parliament resolve to push Myanmar to take back Rohingya refugees
- Comcast's X1 set-top box gets a YouTube app with voice control
- Ava DuVernay's '13th' Receives Accolades At Creative Arts Emmy Showcase
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Big-ticket 'iPhone X' expected to star at Apple event
- Francfort 2017 : Honda Urban EV Concept
- The New 550-hp 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo Missile Arrives Fall 2018
- BCA Submits Investigation of Damond Shooting to Hennepin County Attorney's Office
- U.S. softens stance ahead of N. Korea resolution