Based on Stephen King's best-selling novel. Before that, there was Hotel Transylvania 2 at $48.5 million. The film will also have the record for the highest opening ever in September and October.
In fact, it's cheered up a lot of gloomy cinema companies after the worst summer box office on record in 25 years. Either way, the people have spoken, and they are super, super into getting scared senseless by the creepiest clown cinema has ever seen. As the third-largest opening weekend in 2017, the new horror film only falls behind Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 and Beauty and the Beast. Directed by Andy Muschietti and co-written by Cary Fukunaga, who directed the first season of HBO's "True Detective", the film recounts the tale of a group of bullied kids who band together to kill the creep who's been hunting local children.
With such a big box office opening, I'm betting Warner Bros. and New Line will be fast-tracking this movie to start shooting as quickly as possible. With viewers searching for a blockbuster, IT certainly delivered, capping off its stellar word of mouth with an impressive 86 percent Rotten Tomatoes score to seal the deal as a big hit.
That is the largest opening for a film debuting in September, almost $70 million more than the previous record.
"A terrific start for the Fall moviegoing season after a rather slow Labor Day weekend as 'It'revs up a sleepy marketplace and we look forward to an unbelievable September at the box office, " wrote movie analyst Paul Dergarabedian at comScore in an email to Xinhua.
Mission accomplie, Abdoulaye Wade quitte l'Assemblée — Sénégal
Les 165 députés élus feront leur rentrée ce jeudi 14 septembre et deux personnalités au moins seront absentes lors de cette rentrée.
With an outcome of $117.2 million, "It" will reach even with Spiderman: Homecoming, which made $117 million during its opening weekend.
"IT's" worldwide total now stands at over $179.2 million.
Why do you think that It was so successful at the box office?
The rest of the weekend was filled by much, much smaller earners, with Reese Witherspoon's new rom com Home Again taking the second place spot with just $9 million. The film is the first installment of a duology. But, what managed to allure the mass waves of attendees is the "universality of the fear of clowns", according to comScore senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian.
- "Aucune trace dans les élevages français", assure Stéphane Travert — Oeufs contaminés
- Il conduisait avec 6,93g d'alcool dans le sang
- NC Emergency Management teams at work on Irma preps
- Vladimir Putin warns of 'global catastrophe' amid North Korea 'military hysteria'
- Busy Philipps hospitalised on BFF Michelle William's birthday
- Frank de Boer's future at Crystal Palace hanging by a thread
- Kim Jong-un calls latest nuclear-test 'great victory'
- Il accueille un livreur de pizzas avec un fusil à pompe — Pau
- The Voice 7 : Florent Pagny et Mika rempilent !
- Here's Who China's Bitcoin Exchange Ban Reportedly Won't Affect