U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis made the statement after meeting with President Donald Trump and the national security team.
Mattis told reporters: "Any threat to the United States or its territories, including Guam, or our allies will be met with a massive military response, a response both effective and overwhelming".
Afterwards, Defense Secretary Mattis announced that the United States will launch a "massive military response" to any threat from Pyongyang.
The North hailed its test of what it described as a hydrogen bomb designed for a long-range missile as "a ideal success". This word choice was a blunder along the lines of the promise of "fire and fury' against any North Korean threats", said Frank Aum, a visiting scholar at the U.S. -Korea Institute.
North Korea has previously conducted nuclear tests in 2006, 2009, 2013, and two in 2016, with explosive yields of less than one kiloton, 2-4 kilotons, 6-9 kilotons, 7-10 kilotons, and 20-30 kilotons, respectively.
The UN Security Council is to hold an emergency meeting on Monday to discuss an worldwide response, according to the U.S. mission. The leaders of South Korea, Japan and the European Union immediately called for additional U.N. sanctions against the isolated, impoverished nation of 25 million people.
The Results Of Kenya's Presidential Election Have Been Voided
Kenyatta's lawyers called the ruling a "very political decision" but pledged to abide by it, the Associated Press reported . He added: "At the least minimum, we expected that the court would have ordered a recount of the presidential votes".
When asked if he would attack the North, Trump said, "we'll see".
Trump's Twitter wrath also was directed at the government in Seoul: "South Korea is finding, as I have told them, that their talk of appeasement with North Korea will not work, they only understand one thing!"
Then North Korean state media confirmed this was no natural disaster.
Britain's foreign minister Boris Johnson called the nuclear test "reckless" and a "provocation" while French President Emmanuel Macron urged the United Nations Security Council to act. He said the South would discuss deploying "the strongest strategic assets of the USA military" - a possible reference to tactical nuclear weapons, which the U.S. withdrew from South Korea in 1991.
While US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson spoke by phone with his Asian counterparts, US and South Korean military chiefs also conferred. South Korea's weather agency said the artificial quake caused by the explosion was five times to six times stronger than tremors generated by the North's previous five such tests.
Jeffrey Lewis of website armscontrolwonk said Sunday's blast clearly was "a staged thermonuclear weapon", representing a significant advance.
- President briefed on military options available to deal with N. Korea
- 96 détenus s'évadent d'une prison — Côte d'Ivoire
- La Poste devrait livrer des colis le dimanche
- Horn set to seal mega-fight with former world champ
- Broadcom Limited (AVGO) skyrockets 59.2% since hitting worst price of $158.75
- Sitharaman credits new role to `cosmic grace'
- India deplores NKorea's nuclear test
- Sommet du BRICS : Alpha Condé à Xiamen (Chine)
- Et voici la bonne nouvelle du week-end
- Meet The Leading Lady Of Varun Dhawan's 'October' Banita Sandhu