But, hey, when you're the defending national champions and you pound someone like Ohio State in the manner that you did, then you reserve the right to throw some shade. Their quarterbacks completed one pass for 1 yard. The Golden Flashes return senior quarterback Nick Holley, who led the team in rushing previous year, along with sophomore running back Justin Rankin, who was second in rushing and the team's leading receiver.
The junior did damage with his arm and legs, completing 16 of 22 passes for 236 yards and a touchdown and rushing for 77 yards and a score. The Golden Flashes lost to Alabama 48-0 in 2016. A 9-yard pass to Ray-Ray McCloud set up a 61-yard touchdown pass to Deon Cain, capping a two-play touchdown drive that took 42 seconds off the clock and gave the Tigers a 14-0 lead.
Cleveland Browns: Brock Osweiler's odd time in Cleveland
The Broncos' quarterback situation is a bit precarious, which could present an opportunity for Osweiler, still just 26 years old. Manning rode off into the sunset as a champion, but Osweiler started seven games for the Broncos during the regular season.
That's the case at Clemson this year, where the marching band hasn't forgotten last year's incredible title run. The Tiger mascot ran the championship trophy down the hill before the game, the school unveiled three different signs around the stadium marking the playoff appearance and title, and the band did a "31-0" formation to honor the score in Clemson's demolition of Ohio State in the national semifinals.
Clemson: The Tigers host No. 12 Auburn.
- Kelly Bryant shines as Tigers blast Kent State in opener
- Brock Osweiler signs with Denver Broncos
- Blank Rome issues guidance on Hurricane Harvey insurance recovery
- Brock Osweiler's last 18 months come full circle with return to Broncos
- Clemson band brutally trolls Ohio State during Week 1 halftime show
- Denver Broncos bringing back QB Brock Osweiler as backup
- DOJ confirms no evidence supporting Trump claim Obama wiretapped him
- Government flood insurance on the brink after Harvey, fmr. FEMA director says
- Broncos interested in resigning Brock Osweiler
- No evidence Obama wiretapped Trump Tower: US Justice Dept