The proposal comes two days after the North fired a ballistic missile over Japan. Experts say Kim wants a real nuclear deterrent against the United States to ensure the survival of his government and likely believes that it will strengthen his negotiating position when North Korea returns to talks.
"China has a key role to play here in terms of the pressure they can bring on North Korea", May said Tuesday after Pyongyang sent a missile cruising over the north of Japan which she will pay a visit to soon.
"By forward-basing the F-35, the most advanced aircraft in the world, here in the Pacific, we are enabling the Marine Corps to respond quickly during a crisis in support of Japan, the Republic of Korea, and all our regional partners".
The situation on the Korean Peninsula has become aggravated in recent months due to Pyongyang's missile launches and nuclear tests, all conducted in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.
He made the statement speaking during a monthly news conference on Thursday, when asked about tension on the Korean peninsula, Reuters reported. Over the course of a 10-hour mission, the B-1Bs, F-35Bs and two Japanese F-15 fighters first flew together over waters near Kyushu, Japan.
Fernando Alonso Not Committed To Future With Honda, says Hasegawa
Brown also added that the team had contingency plans in place if Fernando Alonso did not extend his contract with the team. So we need to take a view, which we've not finalised yet, as to whether we think they can get to where we need them to be.
Tokyo planned to enhance efforts with Washington to persuade China and Russian Federation to change their positions against an envisaged oil embargo with a new UN Security Council resolution, Japan's Jiji news agency reported Thursday, citing informed sources.
Early Thursday, May visited a United States naval base on the outskirts of Tokyo with Japanese Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera before attending a business forum.
China has long called for the issue to be resolved through dialogue, but prospects for a diplomatic solution look increasingly dim as North Korea's provocations have been met with escalating rhetoric, particularly from the US.
China and Russian Federation also both call for direct talks between Washington and Pyongyang.
Japan has been boosting defense ties with the Philippines and other Southeast Asian nations, some of which have their own disputes with Beijing in the South China Sea.
- Giant cricketer Rahkeem Cornwall hits 6 large sixes in CPL 2017
- Serena Williams gives birth to baby girl, coach says
- Row in Kerala over reduction in distance of bars
- New 'sonic' attack reported in Cuba, 19 Americans now affected
- Huawei unveils AI-equipped Kirin 970 processor at IFA 2017
- Pence, Perry visit Texas to see Harvey damage, meet with victims
- Korea says its ballistic missile launchers elusive
- Deadline dealing: Verlander traded to Astros; Angels add two All-Stars
- Trump nominates Kenneth Juster as ambassador to India (Lead) (With images)
- Big Brother's Lotan Carter reveals he was supposed to MARRY last week - as he offers Katie Price a shoulder to cry on