China urged Vietnam on Friday to take a calm and rational view of its military drills in the South China Sea, after Vietnam expressed opposition, as tension between the neighbors worsens over the disputed strategic waterway.
Tension between China and neighboring Vietnam is at its highest in three years over the disputed waters.
Vietnam suspended oil drilling in offshore waters that are also claimed by China in July under pressure from Beijing.
"Vietnam proposes China to cease and refrain from repeating acts that complicate the situation in the East Sea (South China Sea)", Hang said, adding all foreign activities in Vietnamese waters must be comply with Vietnamese and global laws.
All foreign activities in Vietnamese waters must comply with Vietnamese and worldwide laws, she added.
Stand-Up Comedian Shelley Berman Dead at 92
He's being remembered as a comedy pioneer who paved the way for comics Bob Newhart , Woody Allen, and Jerry Seinfeld. Most recently, he appeared in an episode of Hawaii Five-0 and as Larry David 's father on Curb Your Enthusiasm .
Yesterday (August 31) a statement was given by foreign ministry spokeswoman Le Thi Thu Hang, saying Vietnam was anxious about exercises taking place in the Gulf of Tonkin area however it was not clear which exact drills she was talking about, according to Reuters.
China's Foreign Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment outside of business hours and it was not immediately clear which drills the Vietnamese statement was referring to.
"The relevant sea is under China's jurisdiction", she told a daily news briefing on Friday, adding that China had the right to carry out such drills in the waters there. "We hope the relevant side can calmly and rationally view it".
But last month the Maritime Safety Administration of the Chinese province Hainan said there will be live fire drills near the Paracel Islands which are owned by Vietnam.
The DFA secretary noted that the practical cooperation between Asean and China in the South China Sea has been steadily improving over the a year ago. Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines and Taiwan also have claims.
- Nutanix Inc. - NTNX - Stock Price Today
- PSG : Di Maria aurait demandé son départ
- The lululemon athletica inc. (LULU) Receives Hold Rating from Jefferies Group LLC
- 1-year-old child and mom taken, last seen near Pueblo
- Ethiopian Airlines moves to takeover Nigeria's Arik air
- Megan McKenna's singing voice shocks Loose Women viewers
- Watch Vince Gill Surprise Chris Young with Grand Ole Opry Induction
- Christophe Beaugrand est impatient de retourner animer Secret Story
- Futures point to a higher open as Wall Street wraps up August
- Netflix Teams With Damien Chazelle on Paris-Set Musical Series 'The Eddy'