At an audience in Rome on Wednesday, Pope Francis said that he and Patriarch Bartholomew of the Eastern Orthodox Church had prepared a message that they are going to release on Friday, which will be the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation.
In an August 31 letter to Cardinal Daniel DiNardo of Galveston-Houston, president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, the Pope offered his "spiritual closeness and pastoral concern" to all those affected by "the violent hurricane that swept through the states of Texas and Louisiana in these days".
People walk through the flooded waters of Telephone Rd.in Houston on August 27, 2017 as the United States fourth city city battles with tropical storm Harvey and resulting floods.
Signed by Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the letter said Francis has been "deeply moved by the tragic loss of life and the vast material devastation that this natural catastrophe has left in its wake".
US Rules Descendants of Cherokees' Former Slaves Have Full Tribal Rights
A USA court has reinstated tribal citizenship rights for descendants of slaves once owned by the Native American Cherokee Nation. That meant, she said, she was eligible for citizenship into the tribe.
His message was conveyed by Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the number two in the Vatican hierarchy.
Pope Francis, he said, "trusts that the enormous and immediate needs of so many individuals and communities will continue to inspire a vast outpouring of solidarity and mutual aid in the best traditions of the nation".
He renewed his assurance of prayer, and offered his blessing "as a pledge of consolation, strength and peace in the Lord".
- Game of Thrones star Aidan Gillen to play Irish novelist James Joyce
- Largest oil refinery in United States closes due to Hurricane Harvey
- Newcastle United Look At Liverpool's Origi As Gayle Replacement
- Euro Giants Tipped To Anger Klopp By Hijacking Liverpool's £74m Deal
- Mother warns people of Harvey floodwaters after son electrocuted
- Crude Oil Drops To Lowest Since July 21
- RNC Chief Of Staff Resigns To Take Post At Chamber Of Commerce
- Syria vs Qatar World Cup Qualifier 2018
- Gov. Rauner to sign school funding bill
- 10-man Iran hold on against S