Nicasio, 31 (Thursday is actually his 31st birthday, by the way), has a 2.85 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 60 strikeouts in 60 innings this season.
The Pirates are out of contention; unloading a player like Nicasio, who's having a strong year and will be a free agent come winter, makes ideal sense.
At that point, the Pirates opted to put Nicasio on outright waivers, where he was claimed by last-place Philadelphia.
Nicasio was claimed by the Phillies on Thursday. If the Pirates could not get anything in return for Nicasio, they should have just kept him through the end of the season. Philadelphia will be responsible for paying the remainder of Nicasio's salary this season, which is approximately $600,000. He struck out 60, and owned a 2.85 ERA and a 3.00 FIP.
"Given our recent record and regression in the standings, we intend to give the higher leverage innings to other pitchers that may or will impact our 2018 club", Huntington said.
RNC Chief Of Staff Resigns To Take Post At Chamber Of Commerce
Armstrong was named RNC chief of staff in January after serving as CEO of President Donald Trump's inauguration committee. She worked for the RNC since 2009, including as deputy chief of staff.
As for the Phillies, claiming Juan Nicasio was an odd move.
To be honest, the Phillies claiming Nicasio is even more had scratching than the Pirates placing him on irrevocable waivers.
The Phillies are now in last place.
Nicasio has been one of the Pirates' best relievers this season but the team put him on irrevocable waivers. And there is no next year in this equation, as Nicasio will be a free agent before then. This appears to be nothing short of the Pirates dumping a very small salary amount instead of getting an extra month out of one of their best bullpen arms.
- U.S. issues fuel waivers for 38 states as Harvey shuts refineries
- Solange to host Hurricane Harvey benefit concert
- AG Paxton warns gas stations against fraud in wake of hurricane
- Man found dead sleeping rough near Grafton Street this morning
- Rossi breaks leg in training crash
- Largest oil refinery in United States closes due to Hurricane Harvey
- 10-man Iran hold on against S
- Man City furious with Arsenal over failed Alexis Sanchez deal
- Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- Mother warns people of Harvey floodwaters after son electrocuted