Shanghai-based Juneyao Airlines, one of China's largest private carriers, similarly blamed higher fuel costs for its 12 percent fall in first-half net profit.
Such factors have dampened the benefits of the renminbi's appreciation against the USA dollar this year.
Total operating expenses increased by 19 per cent to 57.9 billion yuan, no thanks to a bigger rise in flight operations expenses.
Air China on Wednesday reported a 3.8 percent fall in first-half profit, dragged down by higher fuel costs, slowing returns on worldwide routes and heavy losses from its stake in Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific.
The airlines' Hong Kong-listed shares closed between 3.1 to 5.6 percent higher on Wednesday (30/08) after the yuan strengthened to breach the psychologically important 6.6 per dollar level for the first time since June 2016.
Trevor Noah defends Melania Trump's stilettos: 'Who cares?'
She also put on a baseball cap with the word "FLOTUS" on it, in true Trump style, while her husband wore one that read "USA".
Passenger yields fell two per cent, dragged down by a 7.5 per cent slump on global routes, even as revenue per kilometre grew 12.5 per cent.
"We believe that competitive pressure could continue to suppress passenger yield in the second half", said BOCOM International analyst Geoffrey Cheng in a note about China Southern's performance.
"Statistics show that on average as many as 25 per cent of the passengers on the China Southern service are from outside China, and are primarily New Zealanders, Europeans and Britons travelling the globe on Asia's largest airline".
China Southern said in its report that it was confronted with a variety of "adverse factors", such as "increasingly severe security situation at home and overseas, acceleration of high-speed railways and increasingly intensified market competition".
- North Korea's Ri Sol Ju gave birth to third child
- Everton pense à Michy Batshuayi — Angleterre Chelsea
- Gareth Southgate considers Joe Hart England's best goalkeeper
- 10-man Iran hold on against S
- Borussia Dortmund enter talks with Manchester City for Jadon Sancho
- Chris Pratt & Anna Faris Take Another Step Toward Divorce
- Harvey Still On Track To Bring Us 3-6 Inch Rains
- Syria vs Qatar World Cup Qualifier 2018
- IFA 2017 : ASUS dévoile son casque Windows Mixed Reality
- Campbell Soup Company (CPB) Trades at New 52-Week Low