"Natural disasters of this scale can leave thousands of animals without homes and will easily overwhelm the ability of local shelters to care for pets", said Sharon Harmon, OHS President and CEO. Some reported that they didn't evacuate because they were unable to take their pets.
More than 100 dogs and cats from a Louisiana shelter arrived in San Diego this week to make room for pets affected by Hurricane Harvey. "We try our best to provide great care and a great commitment and put so much love towards them, they'll think it is home", said Leah Jackson, Animal Welfare Association.
The AAC said their weekend donations included a very large amount of towels, food, bedding, toys and a notable $1,000 donation from a citizen bringing in a stray dog.
"Some of the most heart-wrenching images we've seen are dogs tied to porches or crates left on steps which is a death sentence if flood waters continue to rise, said Angela Speed with the Wisconsin Humane Society".
"We're going to be flying all month", Smith said.
Trump attacks Republicans on Twitter, but Democrats? Not so much
The president sent shock waves across Washington when he threatened Tuesday to "close down" the government over funding the wall. But Democrats remain solidly opposed to the wall, saying it is a waste of money and a symbol of bigotry.
"Of course, if we are able to help we will", Speed said.
And we're back now with more on the disaster in Texas and the unsafe mission to rescue stranded flood victims and their pets.
Shelters say they have heard reports of extensive lines of people surrendering their pets, so nearby shelters need to be ready for additional animal intake.
In Houston, boats don't just stop for stranded people. They blew up an air mattress and used a one-person kayak to transport their two dogs and cat.
AHS spokesman Zach Nugent stressed that the Minnesota team won't be taking animals that were lost during the flooding and who could be reunited with their Texas owners.
"From my understanding, all the volunteer people were only leaving animals in instances where they were aggressive", said Ms. Grissom. Almost 200 dogs and cats were taken in by San Antonio's Animal Care Services, including 30 dogs from a flooded shelter in Pleasanton.
- Most Harvey flood victims on hook to pay for home repairs
- API Reports 5.8 Million Barrel Inventory Draw, WTI Oil Price Little Changed
- Rain Starting To Move Back In
- Rain from Harvey reaches Kentucky later this week
- Houston vs. UTSA Postponed Due to Hurricane Harvey
- Alabama lineman Raekwon Davis shot at bar
- Michael Buble's Son Noah Celebrates 4th Birthday with Another Spider-Man Party!
- Two Canadians indicted in attack on protesters during Erdogan US visit
- Kaun Banega Crorepati 9 Episode 2: Can You Answer Amitabh Bachchan's Questions?
- Bank of Nova Scotia (The) (BNS) Plans Quarterly Dividend of $0.63