The lack of new selections at the multiplex this weekend could be the biggest culprit, however.
Based on studio estimates, this weekend's box office total was the lowest in three years (while some outlets are saying it was the worst in over fifteen years, Deadline notes that the last to do worse actually came in September 2014). It could even be the lowest since September 21, 2001, which accrued $59 million in the wake of the World Trade Center terrorist attacks.
This is also the first August in 20 years not to break the $50 million barrier.
That would have been bad news for microbudget kung fu flick Birth of the Dragon.
Rounding out the 10 most-popular films in North America this weekend were "Dunkirk" ($3.9 million), "Spider-Man: Homecoming" ($2.7 million), "Birth of the Dragon" ($2.5 million), "Mayweather vs. McGregor" ($2.4 million) and "The Emoji Movie" ($2.3 million). Audiences who saw the film gave it an A on CinemaScore, but critics rejected it with a 37 percent Rotten Tomatoes score.
Asensio offre le nul au Real — Esp
Au classement, les leaders, la Real Sociedad, le FC Barcelone et Léganes, en profitent pour prendre deux points d'avance sur le Real Madrid, 5e.
As many people around the nation turned their attention to Hurricane Harvey and Saturday night's much talked about Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor match, which reportedly took in an estimated $700 million in revenues worldwide, the weekend's domestic box office came to a screeching halt, with returns totaling in at just $64 million overall (The Hitman's Bodyguard came out on top with an estimated $10 million).
However, that figure could drop down to somewhere in the $9 million range when final figures are released.
Heist comedy Logan Lucky and murder mystery movie Wind River are on a collision course for fourth place, with both films expected to finish the weekend with about $4 million.
"Wind River", which expanded to almost 2100 screens, rises six spots to #4.
Perhaps given the paucity of other offerings, Wonder Woman had a resurgence, climbing from 16th place to 12 and making $1.6 million in the process.
- Broncos' Menelik Watson pulls off surprise proposal during Saturday's game
- Body of missing Fargo woman found
- Oil platforms being evacuated due to Tropical Storm Harvey
- Immelt Drops Out of Contention for Uber CEO Job
- IL volunteers on their way to Texas to aid Harvey relief effort
- Disparition de Maelys, 9 ans, lors d'un mariage — Isère
- Les corps des 10 marins de l'USS John S. McCain enfin retrouvés
- Vital Signs: don't expect much from the central bankers at Jackson Hole
- Today's Lineup: Of Course Rhys Hoskins Is Back in the Cleanup Spot
- Mort de Mireille Darc