"You can't tell in these pictures but i have the flu so bad i needed an IV #showgoeson #cutelilproppedupcorpse", she wrote alongside a few photos of herself walking the carpet before the ceremony.
Lorde is set to perform at this year's awards show.
But as handsome as the New Zealand star's looked, it turns out she wasn't feeling almost as well.
After the performance, Lorde took to Twitter to explain why she couldn't sing.
Woman and child found dead in Bradenton apartment fire
Cedar Hammock and the State Fire Marshall are investigating the cause of the fire. Diamond Shelman had trauma to her body inconsistent to fire related injuries.
Lorde looked stunning on the red carpet - even though she was sick as a dog.
Some people loved her interpretation of "the show must go on". As opposed to singing, as Lorde has been known to do from time-to-time, she instead broke into some sort of interpretive dance.
Props to Lorde for not lip-syncing; I'd rather watch her dance for real than pretend to sing.
Prior to the performance, Lorde told fans on Twitter that she now has the flu, and has been on a drip to keep up her fluids.
She said she'd "been rehearsing for the VMAs and my knees are covered in bruises" but didn't mention the fact she was ill.
- How Mo Besic reacted to his father's shooting
- Fifth Harmony Tease Many 'Surprises' During Their MTV VMAs Performance Tonight
- CBS to Buy Australian Broadcaster Ten Network
- Berkeley Protests Over, Police Defend Handling
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers offense failing to score touchdowns in preseason
- Tillerson: US open to talks with N. Korea despite missile launch
- Abilene's Salvation Army setting up disaster shelter for hurricane evacuees
- Ram Rahim owns 55 acres near Hyderabad too
- Houston TV station flooded, evacuated in midst of Harvey
- Texas, Japan advance to the LLWS title game