"You can't tell in these pictures but i have the flu so bad i needed an IV #showgoeson #cutelilproppedupcorpse", she wrote alongside a few photos of herself walking the carpet before the ceremony.
Lorde is set to perform at this year's awards show.
But as handsome as the New Zealand star's looked, it turns out she wasn't feeling almost as well.
After the performance, Lorde took to Twitter to explain why she couldn't sing.
New Coast Guard 360-degree video shows boat rescue on Columbia River
The Coast Guard received a report after someone saw an overturned vessel with two people in the water at about 9 p.m. Coast Guard shows the simulated rescue of a kayaker in Dead Man's Cove on the Columbia River.
Lorde looked stunning on the red carpet - even though she was sick as a dog.
Some people loved her interpretation of "the show must go on". As opposed to singing, as Lorde has been known to do from time-to-time, she instead broke into some sort of interpretive dance.
Props to Lorde for not lip-syncing; I'd rather watch her dance for real than pretend to sing.
Prior to the performance, Lorde told fans on Twitter that she now has the flu, and has been on a drip to keep up her fluids.
She said she'd "been rehearsing for the VMAs and my knees are covered in bruises" but didn't mention the fact she was ill.
- North Korea fires three missiles into sea
- Tensions with USA revive as North Korea fires three ballistic missiles
- Trump Renews Call For Mexico To Pay For Border Wall
- Dodgers activate Darvish from DL
- Trump's business tried to open Trump Tower in Moscow during campaign
- North Korea tests short-range missiles as South Korea, US conduct drills
- Texas, Japan advance to the LLWS title game
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers offense failing to score touchdowns in preseason
- Ram Rahim owns 55 acres near Hyderabad too
- IShares MSCI Germany Small-Cap (EWGS) Rises 1.21% for Aug 26