Kyle Gibson (8-10) went 6 2/3 innings, allowing just two earned runs and striking out seven as the Twins (67-63) picked up their first series win in Toronto since taking two of three in June 2014.
A bunt single, a pop fly double and a mammoth homer contributed to five Blue Jays runs.
The Twins scored once in the first inning on an RBI single by Buxton. Mauer was thrown out at home by shortstop Ryan Goins on Eddie Rosario's grounder.
Polanco was out on a rundown between third and home on Buxton's grounder to third. Toronto's offence could not keep pace, though, after scoring 10 runs the day before in a freaky win over the wild card-contending Twins.
D'Tigress Beat Senegal To Win Afrobasket 2017
Meiya Tirera spearheaded the triumph for the home side with 15 points as her side eased to a third-place finish. D'Tigress won the title on Sunday evening after defeating strong rivals Senegal 65-48 in the final.
The Blue Jays tied the score in the second on a double by Miguel Montero and a single by Aoki. Max Kepler walked to load the bases for Vargas.
He drilled a two-run home run in the fourth off of Joe Biagini, raising the Twins' lead to 5-1. It also scored Mauer, who led off with a triple. He tacked on a solo shot in the seventh off of Matt Dermody, making it a 6-2 game. It was Buxton's first career multi-homer game. Taylor Rogers replaced Hildenberger with two outs in the eighth. He lasted just four innings, giving up four runs on hits.
Buxton was 4 for 5 with five runs batted in and was the only Minnesota batter to not strike out during the game. Coming into Sunday afternoon's game against the Blue Jays, the 23-year-old was carrying a meager.677 OPS. He drove in both of Toronto's runs and had three hits in the contest.
- Encana Corporation (NYSE:ECA) Traded Much Lower Than Its 50 Day Average
- Police Nab 30 Fake Delegates at Anambra APC Guber Primary
- United States troop reduction in exercise not due to North Korea concerns - Mattis
- Arsenal to trigger Marco Asensio's release clause before transfer window slams shut
- Liverpool Crushes Arsenal 4-0 as Salah Shines
- Sen Misau a deserter, wanted for forgery - Nigerian police
- No 'super team' in the Premier League, says Firmino
- Pulisic, Dempsey headline Arena's squad
- Phoenix Search and Rescue headed to TX to offer hurricane aid
- Alabama Crimson Tide DT Raekwon Davis struck by bullet at Tuscaloosa bar