But Bournemouth later on Saturday put the accusation down to a "misunderstanding" and confirmed that no assault had been committed by the Argentinian striker.
Reports in Bosnia say Meho Besic suffered wounds in his leg and hand but did survive the initial attack in the northeastern town of Falesici, which is thought to have taken place in the backyard of his family home.
It is unclear how serious the injuries are. Besic learned of the horrific incident as he prepared for Everton's trip to Premier League champions Chelsea, but he told Toffees boss Ronald Koeman that he still wanted to be considered for selection.
Inc. Invests $5.86 Million in Liberty Global PLC (LBTYA)
BidaskClub has upgraded Liberty Global plc - Class A Ordinary Shares (NASDAQ:LBTYA) to Hold in a statement released on 7/03/2017. About 267,066 shares traded or 16.18% up from the average. (NYSE:WD) has risen 103.91% since August 25, 2016 and is uptrending.
However, Besic refused to go to the event since Bosnia manager Mehmed Baždarević did not call him up to the national side for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers next week and was angry at the decision. Asked about the shooting after the Chelsea match, Koeman confirmed the reports.
"I spoke to him yesterday evening", said Koeman. He spoke to his father.
"I don't like to talk more in detail about it, but we will see what happened. This is a family matter", he said. "I don't know exactly what happened, but what came out in the papers is true".
- CBS to Buy Australian Broadcaster Ten Network
- Berkeley Protests Over, Police Defend Handling
- Miles de personas marcharon en Barcelona contra el terrorismo
- VMAs: Paris Jackson Impersonates Trump, Speaks Out Against "Nazi White Supremacist Jerks"
- Fifth Harmony Tease Many 'Surprises' During Their MTV VMAs Performance Tonight
- Mexico is one of world's highest crime nations, says Donald Trump
- North Korea tests short-range missiles as South Korea, US conduct drills
- What Is Lorde Doing in Her VMAs Performance? Please Let Us Know
- Woman and child found dead in Bradenton apartment fire
- North Korea fires three missiles into sea