"U.S forces in the region are conducting an ongoing search for one USA service member who was aboard the aircraft", the military said in a statement. USA forces in the region rescued five other troops who were on board the aircraft, which came down some 20 miles south of the Yemeni shore at around 7 p.m. local time on Friday.
The U.S. military has experienced a string of tragic and concerning crashes over the past couple of months, leading observers to speculate about the cause, suggesting everything from hacking to poor training.
Friday's crash marks the second Black Hawk helicopter crash in a month, as one went down off Hawaii earlier this month, killing five USA service members. Children were also among the casualties. Special Forces troops has been on the ground in the midst of Yemen's civil war in support of an operation against the Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) terror group.
The group is al-Qaida's second largest affiliate and perhaps its most unsafe, USA defense officials speaking on condition of anonymity told reporters in a briefing earlier this year.
A small number of USA troops were on the ground in Yemen earlier this month to provide "intelligence sharing" with government forces battling al-Qaida loyalists there, the Washington Post reported.
US Army Black Hawk Goes Down Near Yemen
The reported cited the US army source as saying that this was a routine training event.
In April, a Black Hawk U.S. Army helicopter crashed on a Maryland golf course, killing one crewmember and seriously injuring two others.
The official spokesperson of CENTCOM denied that the loss was due to a special forces raid and brought out that this crash was during a routine #Training Exercise to keep the aircraft and crew battle hardy.
Also this month, a Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey crashed off the coast of Australia.
Tormund And The Hound Singing Could Melt The Night King's Icy Heart
Fingers crossed that the next Instagram video stars Tormund singing "Silly Love Songs" by Wings with Brienne of Tarth. We're then treated to the wonderful Tormund and The Hound musical collaboration that we never knew we wanted.
- Diables rouges: Radja Nainggolan fait (en partie) machine arrière
- Lewis Hamilton Tops Belgian Grand Prix Second Practice
- West Ham talks for midfielder are over, now wanted by 'bigger clubs'
- US Navy Pacific fleet commander to be removed after deadly ship crashes
- PM Modi condemns violence after Ram Rahim's verdict, appeals to maintain peace
- The Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (FOXA) Stake Cut by HM Payson & Co
- Multiple deaths in M1 motorway crash
- Bihar: CBI files FIR against NGO in alleged multi-crore Srijan scam
- Ex-OL - Mercato : Malaga, Bakary Koné vers le RC Strasbourg
- Yankees Players Suspended, 6 Others Fined After Wild Brawl With Tigers