"With the identity that we now have it is a 30-year-old man who is not known for terrorist activities", a spokeswoman for the prosecution in Brussels said.
A man attempted to attack soldiers with a machete in Brussels on Friday before being shot by police, media in Belgium reported.
Neither of the two soldiers attacked are believed to have been seriously harmed.
The soldiers were lightly wounded in the attack, one in the face, the other in the hand.
A spokeswoman for the prosecution service said: 'With the identity that we now have it is a 30-year-old man who is not known for terrorist activities'.
The country's prime minister Charles Michel also tweeted: 'All our support is with our soldiers.
Federal Government Launches Investigation Into Growing Number of Right Whale Deaths
It will involve collecting data on each whale that died and considering factors such as changes to the environment and habitat. They were considered the "right whale" to hunt because they were slow swimmers, grazed at the surface and floated when dead.
Images showed police have sealed off a main street near the main Grand Place tourist attraction.
According to RTBF, the attacker was a Somalian man, who shouted "Allahu Akbar" during his assault.
In a statement, the federal police said: 'The situation is under control'.
"The soldiers neutralised an individual", Belgian emergency authorities said on Twitter. Our security services remain on alert.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated.
- Millions watch video warning of drug dangers after woman dies
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Asuka Relinquishing NXT Women's Championship
- Les investisseurs en embuscade à Jackson Hole — Wall Street
- Adamas Pharma (ADMS) Scores FDA Approval for Parkinson's Drug
- Eden Hazard: Chelsea boss Antonio Conte surprised at Belgium call-up
- Le fils de Michael Schumacher pilotera à Spa-Francorchamps
- Sumter Kmart not on list of closures
- PSG - Al-Khelaïfi : " Pas un tirage facile "
- Baisse des contrats aidés : la grogne des maires ne faiblit pas